Woolman School (Swarthmore, Pa.)
Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:
Overview This collection contains the papers of Philadelphia Quaker Owen Biddle (1737-1799), his son, Clement Biddle (1778-1856), and numerous descendants. Owen Biddle, a scientist and merchant, was a member of Philadelphia Monthly Meeting and helped in the establishment of Westtown School (1799). Owen Biddle's papers, 1772-1793, (Series 1) include correspondence, and journals, some of which relate to his Revolutionary War activities. Three of his letterbooks, 1778-1779, have been microfilmed. The...
Overview In 5mo 1930, Philadelphia Yearly Meeting (Hicksite) appointed a committee "for the development of closer cooperation between Arch Street and Race Street Yearly Meetings, and to consider also whether the time of our Yearly Meeting might be changes so that the sessions of the two Meetings would at least in part overlap." Includes records of this Committee, 1930-1935. Of particular interest are surveys of cooperation between the two Philadelphia Quaker bodies to that point, as well as histories of...
Overview Dr. O. Edward Janney was a prominent Quaker doctor from Baltimore who was active in many of the social reform movements of his time. He worked with the Society for the Suppression of Vice in Baltimore and labored in the causes of temperance, woman suffrage, inter-racial relations, peace, and other reforms. In 1907, Dr. Janney gave up the practice of medicine to devote his energies full time to reform activities. The collection contains correspondence (1874-1945), diary (1914), memoirs,...
Overview Pendle Hill is a Quaker study center located in Wallingford, Pennsylvania. It was established in 1930 out of an earlier Quaker school and study center, the Woolman School. The Woolman School was established in 1915 under the care of the General Conference Committee of the Seven Yearly Meetings (Hicksite). In 1917, it was reorganized as a joint enterprise of Hicksite and Orthodox Friends, governed by a Board of Managers. The Woolman School was incorporated in 1918. In 1928, it was reorganized as...