Pendle Hill (School: Wallingford, Pa.)
Found in 5 Collections and/or Records:
Overview In 5mo 1930, Philadelphia Yearly Meeting (Hicksite) appointed a committee "for the development of closer cooperation between Arch Street and Race Street Yearly Meetings, and to consider also whether the time of our Yearly Meeting might be changes so that the sessions of the two Meetings would at least in part overlap." Includes records of this Committee, 1930-1935. Of particular interest are surveys of cooperation between the two Philadelphia Quaker bodies to that point, as well as histories of...
Overview Bainbridge C. Davis (1910-1993) was a Quaker active in many concerns and organizations. He worked as a Foreign Service Officer, serving in Venezuela, Jamaica, Chile, and Panama. He retired early, at the age of 62, to devote himself to Quaker causes. He worked to improve race relations and opposed U.S. support for dictatorships. Organizations and committees which he was active in include the Friends World Committee for Consultation, American Friends Service Committee, and Pendle Hill. He was a...
Overview Carol R. Murphy (1916-1994) was a Quaker writer. She was the daughter of Mildred Knight Murphy (1889-1974) and Charles R. Murphy (1884-1936) who were convinced Friends. Carol R. Murphy was a member of Swarthmore Monthly Meeting and active at Pendle Hill Quaker Study Center, Wallingford, Pennsylvania. The papers of Carol R. Murphy, late twentieth century Quaker writer, are organized into two series. Series 1 contains autobiographical material and memorabilia, literary manuscripts, published...
Identifier: SCPC-CDG-A-Pendle Hill School
Abstract This collection consists of some information about the history and organization of Pendle Hill, but is primarily composed of programs about Pendle Hill activities, 1960-.
Dates: Majority of material found within 1934-
Overview Pendle Hill is a Quaker study center located in Wallingford, Pennsylvania. It was established in 1930 out of an earlier Quaker school and study center, the Woolman School. The Woolman School was established in 1915 under the care of the General Conference Committee of the Seven Yearly Meetings (Hicksite). In 1917, it was reorganized as a joint enterprise of Hicksite and Orthodox Friends, governed by a Board of Managers. The Woolman School was incorporated in 1918. In 1928, it was reorganized as...