Found in 5 Collections and/or Records:
Content Description Business records of the historic Delaware County, Pennsylvania, dairy farm and creamery of J and J Darlington, as well as the business records of the Darlington/Darling Post Office, about 1879-1922. The rural branch of Postal Service was established about 1879 and officially closed in 1976. The name was changed to Darling Post Office in 1896 to avoid confusion with a Darlington in Beaver County, Pennsylvania.
Dates: Majority of material found within about 1875-1922
Overview This collection contains the papers of the Darlington family of Delaware County, Pa., and Woodstown, NJ. Quakers with strong ties to Swarthmore College, the family was involved in education, social and peace concerns, and businesses in the Philadelphia area. Charles J. Darlington (1894-1966) served as Clerk of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends during the reunification of the two Philadelphia Yearly Meetings. The collection includes family correspondence relating to...
Overview The Darlingtons were a Quaker family of Pennsylvania and New Jersey with strong ties to Swarthmore College, and their collection, dating from 1864 to 1953, consists of photographs depicting the daily lives of the family and their connections to Swarthmore.
Dates: 1864 - 1953
Identifier: MSS 002/208
Scope and Contents Contains copy and original poetry. Hannah Darlington (1840-1885) and Sarah Maria Darlington (b. 1838) were the daughters of George Darlington and Susan Coates Darlington of Birmingham Monthly Meeting. The poems have local subjects including an Indian burial ground of the Brandywine and a poem written by their father George Darlington in 1850 about the death of his first wife, Maria Haines Darlington (1805-1830).
Dates: circa 1852-1856.
Overview The Palmer family was a Hicksite Quaker family who settled in Bucks County, PA, but who were also active in Delaware County, especially as several family members attended Swarthmore College. Dating from the 1880s to the 1890s, this collections consists of cabinet cards and cartes de visite that depict members of the Palmer family as well as family relatives or friends.