Flanagan, Ross, 1934-
Found in 5 Collections and/or Records:
Scope and Contents A Quaker Action Group (AQAG) records in the Swarthmore College Peace Collection include minutes, correspondence (1966-1971), memoranda, financial records, subject files (organizations), research files (topics), project files, newsletters, press releases, statements of Quaker yearly meetings in various cities, clippings, photographs and sound recordings. The files were first processed in 1974, and then again in 1980. In 2004, archival intern, Joe Clark, sorted the papers into the present order,...
Abstract Horace Champney was a pacifist active in various causes from the late 1940s through the 1980s. He was a founder of The Peacemakers Movement in the 1950s and interested in civil rights, war tax refusal, and other social justice causes. Champney was a member A Quaker Action Group and a crew member of the ship the Phoenix, which sailed to North Vietnam with medical supplies, during the Vietnam war.
Dates: 1958-1990; Majority of material found within 1958-1979
Overview Ross Flanagan (1934- ), is Quaker pacifist and activist, has been involved in many Quaker-sponsored projects, peace, and civil rights activities. In the 1950s he served on the staff of the American Friends Service Committee. He was an early protestor against the Vietnam war and worked with A Quaker Action Group in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. In the 1970s Flanagan was involved in neighborhood revitalization projects in West Philadelphia.
Dates: 1962-1993; Majority of material found within 1964-1978
Overview In response to the 1964 bombing of 44 black churches in Mississippi, Philadelphia and New York Yearly Meetings coordinated a joint effort to rebuild the destroyed churches and to attempt to foster racial reconciliation in the area. The project sent Lawrence and Viola Scott to Jackson, Mississippi as Quaker representatives. By 1966, the group had rebuilt 33 of the 44 churches, and built a community center in rural Canton, Mississippi. This collection is primarily composed of financial records,...
Overview The Peace Action Center began in 1961 as a continuation of the vigil at Fort Detrick, Md. Peace activists had sponsored a continuous vigil as early as 1959 seeking the abandonment of biological weapons and appealed for the conversion of the fort into a world health center. The Peace Action Center included cooperative living quarters for the staff of religious pacifists, mostly Quakers. PAC staff including Lawrence Scott, director, and Jack L. Bagley, Sarah Bishop, Florence Y. Carpenter, Bertha...