Lloyd, Lola Maverick, 1875-1944
Found in 5 Collections and/or Records:
Overview On December 4, 1915, Henry Ford and over one hundred delegates and reporters left Hoboken, New Jersey, aboard the steamship Oscar II bound for Norway, and an itinerary of peace meetings in nonbelligerant Europe. The purpose of the Henry Ford Peace Expedition was the establishment of a conference of neutral nations which would seek to implement peace proposals through continuous mediation. Although Ford left the expedition at Christiana (Oslo) for health reasons, the delegation visited European...
Abstract Hannah Clothier Hull (1872-1958), was one of the founders of the Woman's Peace Party and the Women's International League for Peace and Freedom. She served as a national officer of the WILPF for nearly forty years. Hull was also active in other social reform movements. A member of a well-to-do Quaker family, Hannah Clothier graduated from Swarthmore College in 1891. She first worked at a Philadelphia settlement house and then entered the graduate program in social work at Bryn Mawr College. In...
Identifier: SCPC-CDG-A-Lloyd, Lola Maverick
Abstract Collection includes printed correspondence, flyers, notices, newspaper clippings, pamphlets, conference notes, and newspaper reprints. Includes information about Rosika Schwimmer and the Ford Peace Expedition.
Overview Dr. Helene Stöcker (1869-1943) was one of the first woman students to enter a German University. In the 1920s she helped found Germany's first woman suffrage organization, and later the Bund für Mutterschutz (Protection of Motherhood). Dr. Stöcker immigrated to the United States in 1941 under the sponsorship of friends and colleagues in the peace movement.
Dates: 1897-1994; Majority of material found within 1913-1943
Overview The Women's Peace Union was founded in August 1921 to encourage the formation of a peace group to encompass all the women of the western hemisphere, to work for complete disarmament and the abolition of all constitutional and legal sanctions for war. Records in the Swarthmore College Peace Collection are those of the United States branch.