Walker, Charles C.
Found in 5 Collections and/or Records:
Scope and Contents A Quaker Action Group (AQAG) records in the Swarthmore College Peace Collection include minutes, correspondence (1966-1971), memoranda, financial records, subject files (organizations), research files (topics), project files, newsletters, press releases, statements of Quaker yearly meetings in various cities, clippings, photographs and sound recordings. The files were first processed in 1974, and then again in 1980. In 2004, archival intern, Joe Clark, sorted the papers into the present order,...
Abstract The Fellowship of Reconciliation in the U.S. was founded in 1915 by Christian pacifists. The organization, whose members are now drawn from many religious groups, seeks to apply principles of peace and social justice and non-violent social change to issues such as disarmament, conscription, race relations, economic justice, and civil liberties.
Overview The Peace Action Center began in 1961 as a continuation of the vigil at Fort Detrick, Md. Peace activists had sponsored a continuous vigil as early as 1959 seeking the abandonment of biological weapons and appealed for the conversion of the fort into a world health center. The Peace Action Center included cooperative living quarters for the staff of religious pacifists, mostly Quakers. PAC staff including Lawrence Scott, director, and Jack L. Bagley, Sarah Bishop, Florence Y. Carpenter, Bertha...
Overview Lawrence Scott was a construction engineer, Baptist clergyman, and Quaker activist. He worked as an activist against the testing of nuclear weapons and biological weapons research. He was the supervisor for the Friends Mississippi Project, project director of the Appeal and Vigil at Fort Detrick in Maryland, executive secretary of the Peace Action Center and a founder of A Quaker Action Group.
Identifier: SCPC-CDG-A-Walker, Charles C.