Brinton, Anna Cox
Found in 5 Collections and/or Records:
Overview The papers of the family of Anna S. Cox Brinton, a notable Quaker educator, activist and minister. Her family includes Joel and Hannah E. Shipley Bean, the founders of the Beanite branch of Quakerism, as well as Catharine M. Cox Miles, who was active with the American Friends Service Committee in Germany after World War I. Other family members are also included.
Abstract Howard Haines Brinton and Anna Shipley Cox Brinton were 20th-century Quaker educators and prolific authors whose areas of expertise included the physical sciences and the Classics. Notably, they also worked for the American Friends Service Committee in Europe, for Friends Center in Tokyo, Japan, and as directors of Pendle Hill, an adult study center in Wallingford, PA. They were both recorded ministers in the Religious Society of Friends. This collection also contains materials of other...
Overview A Friends World Conference Committee, sponsored by the Fellowship Council of the American Friends Service Committee, was established in 1932 to promote better understanding among Friends world wide. The representatives at the Second World Conference of Friends, held at Swarthmore and Haverford Colleges, Pa., in 1937, approved the establishment of a continuing international organization, a Friends World Committee, to promote international contacts and cooperation among Friends. In 1958, it was...
Overview Margaret E. Jones (1895-1984), daughter of William B. and Phebe Jones, was a birthright Quaker member of Moorestown Monthly Meeting of Friends in New Jersey. She was involved with the American Friends Service Committee for many years, first as a staff member, then serving on the Board of Directors. The collection contains scrapbooks kept by Margaret E. Jones while she was in Europe involved in relief work in 1933 and again from 1958-1959. Includes a number of photographs of places and people,...
Overview Pendle Hill is a Quaker study center located in Wallingford, Pennsylvania. It was established in 1930 out of an earlier Quaker school and study center, the Woolman School. The Woolman School was established in 1915 under the care of the General Conference Committee of the Seven Yearly Meetings (Hicksite). In 1917, it was reorganized as a joint enterprise of Hicksite and Orthodox Friends, governed by a Board of Managers. The Woolman School was incorporated in 1918. In 1928, it was reorganized as...