Skip to main content
Archives & Manuscripts

Abington monthly meeting manumissions

 Collection
Identifier: HC.MC-975-11-001
This volume records the manumissions of slaves for various members of Abington Monthly meeting. The Manumissions include a statement describing who the slave holder is freeing, and why, and includes the signatures of the slave holders and their witnesses. Individuals whose manumission of slaves is recorded in the volume include: Thomas Walton, David Parry, Thomas Fletcher, Susannah and Thomas Walmsley, Sarah Bolton, Margaret Bolton, Rachel Bolton, and Isaac Bolton, Silar Walmsey, Thomas Knight, Giles Knight, Benjamin Mather, Thomas Walton, Daniel Thomas, John Paul, Jonathan Clayton, Margery Cerroll, Jacob Dilworth, Hannah Jenkins, Lydia Warmers, Thomas Austin, and John and Susannah Vanderin.

Dates

  • 1775

Use Restrictions

Standard Federal Copyright Law Applies (U.S. Title 17).

Extent

0.06 Linear Feet

Historical note

Among the early settlers to the area were Richard Wall and his wife Joane, who arrived in mid-summer of 1682, and purchased 300 acres listed in Penn's original land-grant. The Wall farmhouse was the first gathering place for meetings of the Religious Society of Friends in the area, which originally convened there Dec 3, 1683. In 1697 John Barnes donated 120 acres "for erecting a meetinghouse for Friends and toward the maintenance of a school under the direction of Friends." The original meetinghouse was erected on the donated site between 1698 and 1699. The first recorded Abington Monthly Meeting for business was held there on April 9, 1702. By the middle of the 18th century Abington's meetinghouse was the only building large enough to hold Quarterly Meeting. In 1760 a blacksmith shop was built adjacent to the meetinghouse. Many Quakers came to meeting in horsedrawn vehicles or on horseback; by having a blacksmith shop and engaging a smith for the day they could have their horses shod while they worshiped or attended to business. The original school met in the meetinghouse until a separate structure was built for it in 1784. The meetinghouse was enlarged in 1786, and again in 1797.

During the Orthodox-Hicksite separation, a small Orthodox faction built the "Little Abington" meetinghouse on a separate property.

Source: History of Abington Monthly Meeting, abington.quaker.org

Acquisition

The Abington monthly meeting manusmissions were donated to Quaker & Special Collections, Haverford College, in 1942 by C.C. Morris.

Processing Information

Processed by Kara Flynn; completed December 2015.
Title
Abington monthly meeting manumissions, 1775
Author
Kara Flynn
Date
December 2015
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
English

Find It at the Library

Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections Library

Contact:
370 Lancaster Ave
Haverford PA 19041 USA US