Skip to main content
Archives & Manuscripts

Queen's Dolls' House Correspondence +

 Collection
Identifier: BMC-M100

Overview

The Queen's Dolls' House was created between 1921 and 1924 as a gift from the British people to their monarch. The project was organized by Princess Marie Louise, a cousin of the king, who solicited artists, authors,and craftsmen for donations for the various rooms and furnishings. The majority of this collection is 396 letters addressed to the Princess Marie Louise by artists who had been invited to contribute works for the print files in the library of the dollhouse. These letters accompanied the submitted drawings, paintings, and prints. There are also eight literary works, mostly n typscript, to be written into books for the library. There are also sketches of the royal monogram, used for a frieze on the edges of the book shelves in the library, by Edwin Lutyens, the prominent architect who designed the house and coordinated much of the physical work of its construction and assembly.

Dates

  • 1922 - 1923

Limitations on Accessing the Collection

This collection is open for research.

Extent

1 boxes

Language

English