SFHL/FHL/RG4. Organizational Records
Record Group Term
Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College holds the records of many organizations that were established by or largely under the direction of members of the Society of Friends.
Found in 23 Collections and/or Records:
Overview The Annual Association for the Relief of Sick Children in the Summer was a Quaker women's organization founded in 1818 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, to provide relief for impoverished sick children and their mothers from the crowding and oppressive heat during the summer months. The collection contains minutes, 1818-1854 (gap 1819-1821) and other records, including acting committee minutes and workbook, 1843-1851.
Overview The Association for the Care of Colored Orphans, also known as “The Shelter,” was founded in Philadelphia by Quaker women in 1822 to care for black orphans, both boys and girls, within a nurturing, home-like environment. In 1915, it relocated to Cheyney, Pa, and became a home for girls. In 1965, its name was changed to “Friends Shelter for Girls,” and its mission evolved to serve as a home for teenaged girls. In 1981 it ceased to function as a group home and was succeeded by Friends Association...
Overview The Association of Friends for the Free Instruction of Adult Colored Persons was a Quaker organization organized in 1789 in Philadelphia to operate a charity school for black adults. The Association provided free adult education to African-Americans until 1904 when it was dissolved and its assets were transferred to the Institute for Colored Youth. This collection contains minutes, financial records, and some correspondence of the Association of Friends for the Free Instruction of Adult Colored...
Overview The Benezet House Association, Philadelphia, Pa., was formed in 1917 to assist and educate the City's poor blacks and immigrants. It was created by the merger of the Joseph Sturge Mission School, a First Day school for blacks founded in 1865; Anthony Benezet School, founded in 1795 as the School for Black People and their Descendants (also known as the Raspberry Street School); and Western District Colored School, founded 1848 under the care of Twelfth Street Meeting as a graded primary school....
Overview Byberry Library Company was founded in 1794 and incorporated in 1799. Located in the Byberry section of Philadelphia, Pa., the Library was generally under Quaker management. The collection includes the minutes of the director's meetings; constitution and by-laws, financial and property records, and miscellaneous papers.
Overview The Central Employment Association, a women's charity, was established circa 1840 in Philadelphia by Hicksite Quakers as the Northern Female Association for the Relief of the Sick and Infirm Poor. The collection contains the charter and by-laws, work and financial records, and correspondence, 1840-1942.
Overview The Central Soup Society of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, was incorporated on March 6, 1861, with the charitable purpose of distributing soup and other food to the poor and needy during the inclement seasons. The organization was founded by Hicksite Quakers and continued to serve the people of Philadelphia throughout the 20th century. It survives at the turn of the 21st century as a foundation. Records of the Central Soup Society; includes financial records, minutes, and miscellaneous historical...
Overview The Female Association of Philadelphia for the Relief of the Sick and Infirm Poor with Clothing was a Quaker charity founded in 1828 to distribute clothing and provide other assistance to the sick and poor of Philadelphia. It went out of existence in 1975.
Overview The Friends' Boarding Home of Concord Quarterly Meeting, a Quaker boarding home for the elderly in West Chester, PA, was established in 1891. It was originally for women only, but by 1894, men were also admitted. In 1936, the Home moved to a new facility which was constructed with funds provided by a bequest from Nathaniel Hickman. After 1976, the Home no longer offered nursing services. The collection contains minutes, reports, admission and financial, and other related papers, some of which...
Overview Friends' Freedmen's Association was an organization of Philadelphia Quakers founded in 1863 as Friends' Association of Philadelphia and Its Vicinity, for the Relief of Colored Freemen. Its purpose was to provide relief and education to freed slaves during and after the Civil War. The name was changed circa 1873. From 1947-1955 the Association supported black students in schools and summer work camps. From 1955-1970 the income from investments was used to provide grants for scholarship to needy...