Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results
Archives & Manuscripts

SFHL/FHL/RG4. Organizational Records

 Record Group Term
Identifier: SFHL/FHL/RG4
Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College holds the records of many organizations that were established by or largely under the direction of members of the Society of Friends.

Found in 10 Collections and/or Records:

Chester Friends Association (Chester, Pa.) Records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-016
Overview The Chester Friends Association was established in Chester, Pennsylvania, in 1901 as a society to study Quaker history and literature. This collection contains the record book of Chester Friends Association, a society to study Quaker history and literature. The volume contains minutes, constitution, and by-laws.

Friends Association of Byberry Records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-019
Overview The Byberry Friends Association was a Quaker group which met monthly in Byberry, Pa, to hear papers on a variety of topics and to discuss issues of the day. This collection contains the records of the Friends Association of Byberry, 1900-1932.

Friends Circle (Baltimore, Md.)

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-080
Overview Friends Circle, a Quaker study and social group, was established in Baltimore, Maryland, in 1884. The group met regularly to discuss topics of mutual interest. The collection contains four volumes of bound minutes, 1884-1896.

Friends Literary and Library Association of New York

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-096
Overview The Friends Literary and Library Association was a Hicksite Quaker organization formed in New York City in 1880 to provide the opportunity for mutual improvement in religious and literary subjects. Records from 1880 to 1906 include minutes, treasurers' records, and library catalogues.

Friends Reading Circle of Media

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-070
Overview Friends Reading Circle of Media was a Quaker book group established in 1877 in Media, Pennsylvania, for the purpose of discussing Quaker and other religious writings and as a social gathering for Friends. This collection contains its minutes, 1877-1891. Also included are minutes of the Friends Reading Circle for the Northern District, 1875-1876, whose secretary, Elton B. Gifford, moved to the Media area in 1877.

Friends Social Lyceum (Wilmington, De.)

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-071
Overview Friends Social Lyceum, a Quaker social and study group, was established by 1872 in Wilmington, Delaware. This collection contains the minutes, 1872-1881, in two bound volumes.

Friends Social Union (Ambler, Pa.)

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-038
Overview Friends Social Union was a Hicksite Quaker social club established in 1907 in Ambler, Pennsylvania. The collection contains minutes, 1907 1924.

Trenton Friends Association Records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-064
Overview The Trenton Friends Association was formed in 1892 in Trenton, New Jersey, to promote “a thorough knowledge of the history and testimonies of the Society of Friends.” Meetings were held monthly, except in the summer, in the Trenton Friends meeting house. Papers were presented on a variety of topics. The collection contains minutes, constitution and bylaws, and manuscripts of papers read at meetings.

Trenton Friends Literary Society Minute book

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-105
Overview Trenton Friends Literary Society was formed by a group of Quakers in Trenton, New Jersey, who met every two weeks at members' homes to discuss books, poetry and lectures. Collection contains Minutes of Trenton Friends Literary Society, 1893-1903. Also includes 1893 essay by Dr. Laura Satterthwaite, entitled An Appeal for Loyalty to Truth rather than Sect.

Union Lyceum (Montgomery Co., Pa.) Records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-065
Overview The Union Lyceum, established 1875, was a literary society whose membership consisted primarily of members of the Society of Friends in the Ambler and Gwynedd area of Montgomery County, Pa. The records contain minutes 1875-1900 (gap 1891-1900) and the 25th Anniversary Program.