SFHL/FHL/RG4. Organizational Records
Record Group Term
Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College holds the records of many organizations that were established by or largely under the direction of members of the Society of Friends.
Found in 14 Collections and/or Records:
Overview The Central Soup Society of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, was incorporated on March 6, 1861, with the charitable purpose of distributing soup and other food to the poor and needy during the inclement seasons. The organization was founded by Hicksite Quakers and continued to serve the people of Philadelphia throughout the 20th century. It survives at the turn of the 21st century as a foundation. Records of the Central Soup Society; includes financial records, minutes, and miscellaneous historical...
Overview Friends Boarding Home of Bucks Quarterly Meeting, a Quaker boarding home for the aged in Newtown. Pennsylvania, was opened in 1897 and incorporated in 1899. In 1900 it moved to a new building erected on Congress Street, with funds given by Edward M. Paxson in memory of his parents. Friends' Village was opened in 1981. The records include correspondence, minute books, constitution and legal papers, reports, and other papers.
Overview The Friends' Boarding Home of Concord Quarterly Meeting, a Quaker boarding home for the elderly in West Chester, PA, was established in 1891. It was originally for women only, but by 1894, men were also admitted. In 1936, the Home moved to a new facility which was constructed with funds provided by a bequest from Nathaniel Hickman. After 1976, the Home no longer offered nursing services. The collection contains minutes, reports, admission and financial, and other related papers, some of which...
Overview Friends' Home for Children (“Friendly Acres”) was established in 1881 in Philadelphia by Hicksite Quakers. The Home was a residential facility for orphans and other children in need, modeled on a homelike environment rather than the large institutional more typical of the era. The Home was administered by a Board of Managers which originally was composed entirely of members of the Society of Friends. Eventually it became a summer camp, “Camp Sommerdale,” a summer facility for the children....
Overview This collection contains the records, 1966-1975, of Friends Housing, Inc., a non-profit Quaker organization founded in 1966 to aid in the rehabilitation of low income housing in the Mantua section of Philadelphia, Pa. The records include minutes and reports, correspondence, and related papers.
Overview Contains the records of the Friends Instruction Association including minutes and financial records, receipts from stores, and published bylaws. Friends Instruction Association was organized in 1873 by Philadelphia Quaker women as A Mothers Meeting. Originally part of the Penn Sewing School, the group incorporated in 1876 as Friends Instruction Association. Philadelphia Monthly Meeting provided a meeting space in the Race Street meeting house. Its purpose was to...
Overview Friends Neighborhood Guild is a social welfare agency established by Hicksite Quakers in 1879 to serve the Poplar section of North Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It began as a volunteer organization for immigrant children and evolved into a settlement house and community center. This collection primarily contains early records of Friends Neighborhood Guild, and also the records of two related Quaker societies, the Friendly Settlement Association and the Spring Street Mission.
Overview The Home for the Moral Reform of Destitute Colored Children, an Orthodox Quaker charity which provided shelter and education for black children, was organized in 1854 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The Home was incorporated in 1860. By the end of the 19th century, the organization's primary function was providing financial support for other educational and shelter programs for black youths, including The Shelter (Association for the Care of Colored Orphans). This bound volume contains the...
Overview Penn Sewing School was founded in 1868 as the Friends Sewing School. The name was changed in 1871 and classes suspended in 1899. The collection contains minute books (1876-1906), charter, history, printed report, and other papers.
Overview The Richard Humphreys Foundation was created as the result of a bequest of Richard Humphreys (1750-1832), a Philadelphia Quaker who left funds for the establishment of a school for blacks in Philadelphia. The school was founded as the Institute for Colored Youth. A group of Quakers, known first as the Association and after 1842 as the Corporation, oversaw the Institute. Actual management was performed by a board of managers who reported to the Corporation. The Corporation was successively known...