Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results
Archives & Manuscripts

SFHL/FHL/RG4. Organizational Records

 Record Group Term
Identifier: SFHL/FHL/RG4
Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College holds the records of many organizations that were established by or largely under the direction of members of the Society of Friends.

Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:

Female Association of Philadelphia for the Relief of the Sick and Infirm Poor with Clothing Records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-018
Overview The Female Association of Philadelphia for the Relief of the Sick and Infirm Poor with Clothing was a Quaker charity founded in 1828 to distribute clothing and provide other assistance to the sick and poor of Philadelphia. It went out of existence in 1975.

Ladies Benevolent Association of New Brighton (Pa.)

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-072
Overview The Ladies Benevolent Association of New Brighton was a largely Quaker women's society, founded in 1846 in New Brighton, Pennsylvania, to provide clothing and other necessities to destitute poor. In 1907, the Ladies Benevolent Association cooperated with groups to engage a visiting nurse; this organization, known as the District Nurse Association was disbanded five years later. After World War II, the need for sewing declined, and the Ladies Benevolent Association then turned its support to the...

The Northern Association of the City and County of Philadelphia for the Relief and Employment of Poor Women records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-053
Overview This Hicksite Quaker women's charity was organized in 1844 and incorporated in 1856. Its mission was to provide employment in sewing for poor women. Lucretia Mott served as president until 1866. The Association went out of existence in 1926. The collection contains legal documents, financial records, membership list (1849-1872), reports, correspondence, and related papers.