SFHL/FHL/RG4. Organizational Records
Record Group Term
Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College holds the records of many organizations that were established by or largely under the direction of members of the Society of Friends.
Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:
Overview Minutes and financial records for the "Here a Little, There a Little" Chapter of the King's Daughters, an international Christian philanthropic association. Records are dated from the 1892-1975, with gaps. While this New York chapter was primarily Quaker, the association itself was evangelical Christian in orientation, with Baptist and Congregationalist membership in other parts of the world. Members gathered to read Bible passages, discuss Lenten observance, and perform philanthropic work. The...
Overview The Howard Institution was a Quaker women's charity founded in Philadelphia in 1853 to provide shelter to discharged female prisoners. Its scope was later broadened to assist more generally troubled women and girls. It ceased activity in 1956. The collection contains correspondence from 1942 to 1956, administrative papers, and printed reports and history.
Overview Sunnycrest Farm for Negro Boys was founded in 1855 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, as the Home for Destitute Colored Children, a Hicksite Quaker women's charity which provided shelter and education for black children (generally boys) and then placed them with private families. The Home built a new facility in Cheyney, Pa, in 1922, and the name was changed to Sunnycrest Farm for Negro Boys in 1945. The collection contains minutes, financial and legal records, and reports.