SFHL/FHL/RG4. Organizational Records
Record Group Term
Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College holds the records of many organizations that were established by or largely under the direction of members of the Society of Friends.
Found in 5 Collections and/or Records:
Overview The Byberry School Association was formed in 1837 by several members of the Society of Friends, mostly members of Byberry Monthly Meeting (Hicksite) for the purpose of raising stock to buy land and erect a secondary school in Byberry, Pennsylvania. It includes minutes, financial records, and some miscellaneous papers.
Overview Friends General Conference is a Quaker organization in the unprogrammed tradition of the Religious Society of Friends which primarily serves affiliated yearly and monthly meetings. For additional information about Friends General Conference, please consult their web site: http://www.fgcquaker.org/info/
Overview Friends Opportunity in the Orient was an unofficial Hicksite organization which sponsored a Quaker teacher in Canton, China, in the 1920s. The collection contains primarily correspondence with Margaret Hallowell Riggs, who was sponsored to teach at Canton Christian College and Canton Hospital.
Overview Formed in 1798 to give aid to the sick poor, the New York Female Association created the first public female school in New York in 1800. Until 1845, it worked with the Free School Society to establish and maintain public schools in New York while also continuing its efforts to help the indigent. Since 1845, the association has been a small gift-giving committee. The collection includes minutes and financial records.
Overview The Meeting School was an experimental, co-educational Quaker farm school located in Rindge, N.H. It was founded in 1957 and closed in 2011. The collection contains the records from its inception to closing, publications, and other related records.