SFHL/FHL/RG4. Organizational Records
Record Group Term
Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College holds the records of many organizations that were established by or largely under the direction of members of the Society of Friends.
Found in 20 Collections and/or Records:
Overview Byberry Hall Association was organized in 1854 when the citizens of Byberry township and vicinity decided to form a company for the purpose of erecting a building where residents could meet to hear lectures, hold elections, etc. This collection contains the records of the Byberry Hall Association, 1847-1981. It includes the secretary's book containing minutes (1854-1905); account books, deeds and miscellaneous papers.
Overview The Central Soup Society of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, was incorporated on March 6, 1861, with the charitable purpose of distributing soup and other food to the poor and needy during the inclement seasons. The organization was founded by Hicksite Quakers and continued to serve the people of Philadelphia throughout the 20th century. It survives at the turn of the 21st century as a foundation. Records of the Central Soup Society; includes financial records, minutes, and miscellaneous historical...
Overview The Byberry Friends Association was a Quaker group which met monthly in Byberry, Pa, to hear papers on a variety of topics and to discuss issues of the day. This collection contains the records of the Friends Association of Byberry, 1900-1932.
Overview The Friends Boarding House Association was incorporated in 1877 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, with the purpose of establishing a boarding home for Quakers and others. The Association was dissolved in 1913 with the establishment of a Boarding Home under the care of the Quarterly Meeting. The collection contains records of the Friends Boarding House Association, 1877-1913, including legal papers, minutes and other documents.
Overview The Friends' Book Association of Philadelphia was incorporated in 1873 by Hicksite Quakers to operate stores for the sale of Quaker Books and to subsidize the publication and reprinting of important Quaker books. It ceased operation in 1908. The collection contains minutes, committee reports, correspondence, financial and legal papers.
Overview Friends' Central School was founded in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, as a Quaker secondary school by a Joint Committee of three Hicksite monthly meetings (Society of Friends). It was first located at 4th and Cherry Sts. In 1857, it was moved to 15th and Race Sts., and in 1925, it was moved to its present location in Overbrook, Pa. The current academic program includes grades K-12. The collection contains minutes of the Friends' Central School and Friends' Central School System and related papers.
Overview Friends' Home for Children (“Friendly Acres”) was established in 1881 in Philadelphia by Hicksite Quakers. The Home was a residential facility for orphans and other children in need, modeled on a homelike environment rather than the large institutional more typical of the era. The Home was administered by a Board of Managers which originally was composed entirely of members of the Society of Friends. Eventually it became a summer camp, “Camp Sommerdale,” a summer facility for the children....
Overview This collection contains the records, 1966-1975, of Friends Housing, Inc., a non-profit Quaker organization founded in 1966 to aid in the rehabilitation of low income housing in the Mantua section of Philadelphia, Pa. The records include minutes and reports, correspondence, and related papers.
Overview Friends' Indian Aid Association of Philadelphia was an organization of Hicksite Quakers in Philadelphia founded in 1869 to solicit donations of money and goods to distribute to the Indian tribes in Nebraska assigned to the care of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting (Hicksite) during the period of Grant's peace policy. The collection includes reports and minutes, financial reports, correspondence, and lists of goods.
Overview Contains the records of the Friends Instruction Association including minutes and financial records, receipts from stores, and published bylaws. Friends Instruction Association was organized in 1873 by Philadelphia Quaker women as A Mothers Meeting. Originally part of the Penn Sewing School, the group incorporated in 1876 as Friends Instruction Association. Philadelphia Monthly Meeting provided a meeting space in the Race Street meeting house. Its purpose was to...