SFHL/FHL/RG4. Organizational Records
Record Group Term
Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College holds the records of many organizations that were established by or largely under the direction of members of the Society of Friends.
Found in 8 Collections and/or Records:
Convention of Delegates from the Seven Yearly Meetings (Hicksite) on Indian Affairs. Executive Central Committee Records
Overview The Convention of Delegates was an association of seven Hicksite Yearly Meetings who managed Indian affairs in the Northern Superintendency during the period of President U.S. Grant's “Peace Policy.” The collection contains correspondence and reports of Indian agents, extracts from minutes and reports, financial records, legislative documents, and printed materials published by the convention. Persons represented include William Burgess, John G. Gasmann, Albert L. Green, Samuel M. Janney, M.B....
Overview Friends' Indian Aid Association of Philadelphia was an organization of Hicksite Quakers in Philadelphia founded in 1869 to solicit donations of money and goods to distribute to the Indian tribes in Nebraska assigned to the care of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting (Hicksite) during the period of Grant's peace policy. The collection includes reports and minutes, financial reports, correspondence, and lists of goods.
Overview The Grandom Institution was a charity established in 1841 through the will of Hartt Grandom, a Philadelphia Quaker, to provide fuel, clothing, and financial assistance to poor Philadelphians. The collection contains minutes, reports, legal, and financial records, as well as similar records of two affiliated but independent organizations, the Fuel Savings Society of the City and Liberties of Philadelphia, and the Philadelphia Soup House and records pertaining to the William Keinath Fund, an...
Overview In 1983, Anne Marie Eriksson (formerly Anne Marie Townsend) and husband Erik Eriksson helped found the Incest Survivors Resource Network International (ISRNI), a Quaker witness educational resource for incest survivors. After 15 years of operation, the firm filed for dissolution on June 5, 1998. The organization became a committee of the New York Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends. ISRNI was a survivor-initiated organization that encouraged coordinated intervention and...
Overview Contains the records, 1968-1987, of Partnership for Productivity, a Quaker-sponsored program in overseas economic development, created to advise small business ventures primarily in African countries. Founded in 1969 by David H. Scull with an initial project in Western Kenya, it was designed to provide capital for loans or investments combined with management counsel and personal supervision through its two organs, the Partnership for Productivity Foundation/USA, Inc., and the Partnership for...
Overview The Richard Humphreys Foundation was created as the result of a bequest of Richard Humphreys (1750-1832), a Philadelphia Quaker who left funds for the establishment of a school for blacks in Philadelphia. The school was founded as the Institute for Colored Youth. A group of Quakers, known first as the Association and after 1842 as the Corporation, oversaw the Institute. Actual management was performed by a board of managers who reported to the Corporation. The Corporation was successively known...
Overview The Harned was a non-profit boarding home for the elderly in Moylan, PA, under the care of Media Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends. It operated under the direction of The Harned Committee. It was established in 1940 through the bequest of Quaker sisters, Phebe and Katherine Harned, and laid down in 1994. The collection contains minutes and reports, admission and financial papers, and other related information.
The New York Association of Friends for the Relief of Those Held in Slavery and the Improvement of the Free People of Color
Overview The New York Association of Friends for the Relief of Those Held in Slavery and the Improvement of Free People of Color was a Quaker society in New York City, organized in 1839. Its purpose was to support the abolition of slavery and educational charities for blacks. This small collection contains a minute book (6/1839-5/1843) and loose minutes (1844).