Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results
Archives & Manuscripts

SFHL/FHL/RG4. Organizational Records

 Record Group Term
Identifier: SFHL/FHL/RG4
Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College holds the records of many organizations that were established by or largely under the direction of members of the Society of Friends.

Found in 38 Collections and/or Records:

Annual Association for the Relief of Sick Children in the Summer Records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-007
Overview The Annual Association for the Relief of Sick Children in the Summer was a Quaker women's organization founded in 1818 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, to provide relief for impoverished sick children and their mothers from the crowding and oppressive heat during the summer months. The collection contains minutes, 1818-1854 (gap 1819-1821) and other records, including acting committee minutes and workbook, 1843-1851.

Association for the Care of Colored Orphans Records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-008
Overview The Association for the Care of Colored Orphans, also known as “The Shelter,” was founded in Philadelphia by Quaker women in 1822 to care for black orphans, both boys and girls, within a nurturing, home-like environment. In 1915, it relocated to Cheyney, Pa, and became a home for girls. In 1965, its name was changed to “Friends Shelter for Girls,” and its mission evolved to serve as a home for teenaged girls. In 1981 it ceased to function as a group home and was succeeded by Friends Association...

Association of Friends for the Free Instruction of Adult Colored Persons Records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-009
Overview The Association of Friends for the Free Instruction of Adult Colored Persons was a Quaker organization organized in 1789 in Philadelphia to operate a charity school for black adults. The Association provided free adult education to African-Americans until 1904 when it was dissolved and its assets were transferred to the Institute for Colored Youth. This collection contains minutes, financial records, and some correspondence of the Association of Friends for the Free Instruction of Adult Colored...

Benezet House Association Records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-010
Overview The Benezet House Association, Philadelphia, Pa., was formed in 1917 to assist and educate the City's poor blacks and immigrants. It was created by the merger of the Joseph Sturge Mission School, a First Day school for blacks founded in 1865; Anthony Benezet School, founded in 1795 as the School for Black People and their Descendants (also known as the Raspberry Street School); and Western District Colored School, founded 1848 under the care of Twelfth Street Meeting as a graded primary school....

Bucks Auxiliary Bible Association of Friends (Bucks County, Pa.) Records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-011
Overview The Bucks Auxiliary Bible Association of Friends, a Quaker Bible distribution society, located in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, was established in 2nd month, 1830, under the Bible Association of Friends in America. Its purpose was to supply “Friends and others with the Holy Scripture, “to encourage “the frequent and serious perusal of them”, and to promote “a more accurate knowledge of their invaluable contents”. All subscriptions collected by the Auxiliary were turned over to the parent body,...

Byberry Hall Association Records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-012
Overview Byberry Hall Association was organized in 1854 when the citizens of Byberry township and vicinity decided to form a company for the purpose of erecting a building where residents could meet to hear lectures, hold elections, etc. This collection contains the records of the Byberry Hall Association, 1847-1981. It includes the secretary's book containing minutes (1854-1905); account books, deeds and miscellaneous papers.

Byberry Library Company Records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-013
Overview Byberry Library Company was founded in 1794 and incorporated in 1799. Located in the Byberry section of Philadelphia, Pa., the Library was generally under Quaker management. The collection includes the minutes of the director's meetings; constitution and by-laws, financial and property records, and miscellaneous papers.

Byberry School Association Records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-014
Overview The Byberry School Association was formed in 1837 by several members of the Society of Friends, mostly members of Byberry Monthly Meeting (Hicksite) for the purpose of raising stock to buy land and erect a secondary school in Byberry, Pennsylvania. It includes minutes, financial records, and some miscellaneous papers.

Central Employment Association (Philadelphia, Pa.) Records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-015
Overview The Central Employment Association, a women's charity, was established circa 1840 in Philadelphia by Hicksite Quakers as the Northern Female Association for the Relief of the Sick and Infirm Poor. The collection contains the charter and by-laws, work and financial records, and correspondence, 1840-1942.

Central Soup Society

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-100
Overview The Central Soup Society of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, was incorporated on March 6, 1861, with the charitable purpose of distributing soup and other food to the poor and needy during the inclement seasons. The organization was founded by Hicksite Quakers and continued to serve the people of Philadelphia throughout the 20th century. It survives at the turn of the 21st century as a foundation. Records of the Central Soup Society; includes financial records, minutes, and miscellaneous historical...