SFHL/FHL/RG4. Organizational Records
Record Group Term
Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College holds the records of many organizations that were established by or largely under the direction of members of the Society of Friends.
Found in 24 Collections and/or Records:
Overview Abington Friends School was established by Abington Monthly Meeting in the latter part of the eighteenth century as a day school. The account book covers the period 1828-1842. Pupil's names are given with the status of their payments, etc.
Overview The American Friends Fellowship Council had its origin in the Fellowship Committee of the American Friends Service Committee. Founded in 1933, its primary purpose was to foster an increased interest in Quakerism throughout the United States and to draw all Friends groups into closer sympathy and fellowship. The Fellowship Council merged with the Friends World Committee, American Section, in 1954. The collection includes correspondence and administrative records, minutes, financial statements,...
Overview The Bucks Auxiliary Bible Association of Friends, a Quaker Bible distribution society, located in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, was established in 2nd month, 1830, under the Bible Association of Friends in America. Its purpose was to supply “Friends and others with the Holy Scripture, “to encourage “the frequent and serious perusal of them”, and to promote “a more accurate knowledge of their invaluable contents”. All subscriptions collected by the Auxiliary were turned over to the parent body,...
Overview The Chester Friends Association was established in Chester, Pennsylvania, in 1901 as a society to study Quaker history and literature. This collection contains the record book of Chester Friends Association, a society to study Quaker history and literature. The volume contains minutes, constitution, and by-laws.
Overview Fair Hill Burial Ground was established on land bequeathed by George Fox in 1690 to Friends in Pennsylvania, including six acres "for a meeting house and school house and a burying place." Part of the land was set aside as a burial ground as early 1707, but there were few interments. In 1830, it was proposed that a burial ground be established for three Hicksite Philadelphia Monthly meetings, Philadelphia, Spruce Street, and Green Street. In 1985, the property was sold to Ephesians Baptist...
Overview The Byberry Friends Association was a Quaker group which met monthly in Byberry, Pa, to hear papers on a variety of topics and to discuss issues of the day. This collection contains the records of the Friends Association of Byberry, 1900-1932.
Overview Friends Boarding Home of Bucks Quarterly Meeting, a Quaker boarding home for the aged in Newtown. Pennsylvania, was opened in 1897 and incorporated in 1899. In 1900 it moved to a new building erected on Congress Street, with funds given by Edward M. Paxson in memory of his parents. Friends' Village was opened in 1981. The records include correspondence, minute books, constitution and legal papers, reports, and other papers.
Overview The Friends' Boarding Home of Concord Quarterly Meeting, a Quaker boarding home for the elderly in West Chester, PA, was established in 1891. It was originally for women only, but by 1894, men were also admitted. In 1936, the Home moved to a new facility which was constructed with funds provided by a bequest from Nathaniel Hickman. After 1976, the Home no longer offered nursing services. The collection contains minutes, reports, admission and financial, and other related papers, some of which...
Overview This collection contains the records of the Friends Conference on Religion and Psychology, primarily from the years 1943 to 1997. The Conference was originally founded as a way of addressing the spiritual turnmoil people were feeling after World War II. It continues to examine the ways Jungian psychology interacts with Quaker beliefs at its annual three-day conference over the Memorial Day weekend.
Overview Friends Historical Association is an organization that promotes research and publication on topics in Quaker history. Membership and editorial offices are located at Swarthmore and Haverford Colleges. Minutes of the organization after 1964 are at Haverford College.