Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results
Archives & Manuscripts

SFHL/FHL/RG4. Organizational Records

 Record Group Term
Identifier: SFHL/FHL/RG4
Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College holds the records of many organizations that were established by or largely under the direction of members of the Society of Friends.

Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:

Annual Association for the Relief of Sick Children in the Summer Records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-007
Overview The Annual Association for the Relief of Sick Children in the Summer was a Quaker women's organization founded in 1818 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, to provide relief for impoverished sick children and their mothers from the crowding and oppressive heat during the summer months. The collection contains minutes, 1818-1854 (gap 1819-1821) and other records, including acting committee minutes and workbook, 1843-1851.

Central Employment Association (Philadelphia, Pa.) Records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-015
Overview The Central Employment Association, a women's charity, was established circa 1840 in Philadelphia by Hicksite Quakers as the Northern Female Association for the Relief of the Sick and Infirm Poor. The collection contains the charter and by-laws, work and financial records, and correspondence, 1840-1942.

Female Association of Philadelphia for the Relief of the Sick and Infirm Poor with Clothing Records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-018
Overview The Female Association of Philadelphia for the Relief of the Sick and Infirm Poor with Clothing was a Quaker charity founded in 1828 to distribute clothing and provide other assistance to the sick and poor of Philadelphia. It went out of existence in 1975.

Howard Institution (Philadelphia, Pa.)

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-045
Overview The Howard Institution was a Quaker women's charity founded in Philadelphia in 1853 to provide shelter to discharged female prisoners. Its scope was later broadened to assist more generally troubled women and girls. It ceased activity in 1956. The collection contains correspondence from 1942 to 1956, administrative papers, and printed reports and history.