SFHL/FHL/RG4. Organizational Records
Record Group Term
Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College holds the records of many organizations that were established by or largely under the direction of members of the Society of Friends.
Found in 60 Collections and/or Records:
Overview The Chester Friends Association was established in Chester, Pennsylvania, in 1901 as a society to study Quaker history and literature. This collection contains the record book of Chester Friends Association, a society to study Quaker history and literature. The volume contains minutes, constitution, and by-laws.
Overview Contains the records of the Fair Housing Council of Suburban Philadelphia and its affiliated organization, Friends Suburban Housing, Inc. Friends Suburban Housing, Inc., was a non-discriminatory real estate brokerage firm in the Philadelphia suburbs, founded in 1956. The Fair Housing Council of Suburban Philadelphia also began in 1956 as the Southeastern Delaware County Area Committee of Friends Suburban Housing Committee. Records include minutes, case files, financial and legal papers.
Overview The Female Association of Philadelphia for the Relief of the Sick and Infirm Poor with Clothing was a Quaker charity founded in 1828 to distribute clothing and provide other assistance to the sick and poor of Philadelphia. It went out of existence in 1975.
Overview The Byberry Friends Association was a Quaker group which met monthly in Byberry, Pa, to hear papers on a variety of topics and to discuss issues of the day. This collection contains the records of the Friends Association of Byberry, 1900-1932.
Overview Friends Boarding Home of Bucks Quarterly Meeting, a Quaker boarding home for the aged in Newtown. Pennsylvania, was opened in 1897 and incorporated in 1899. In 1900 it moved to a new building erected on Congress Street, with funds given by Edward M. Paxson in memory of his parents. Friends' Village was opened in 1981. The records include correspondence, minute books, constitution and legal papers, reports, and other papers.
Overview The Friends' Boarding Home of Concord Quarterly Meeting, a Quaker boarding home for the elderly in West Chester, PA, was established in 1891. It was originally for women only, but by 1894, men were also admitted. In 1936, the Home moved to a new facility which was constructed with funds provided by a bequest from Nathaniel Hickman. After 1976, the Home no longer offered nursing services. The collection contains minutes, reports, admission and financial, and other related papers, some of which...
Overview The Friends Boarding House Association was incorporated in 1877 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, with the purpose of establishing a boarding home for Quakers and others. The Association was dissolved in 1913 with the establishment of a Boarding Home under the care of the Quarterly Meeting. The collection contains records of the Friends Boarding House Association, 1877-1913, including legal papers, minutes and other documents.
Overview The Friends' Book Association of Philadelphia was incorporated in 1873 by Hicksite Quakers to operate stores for the sale of Quaker Books and to subsidize the publication and reprinting of important Quaker books. It ceased operation in 1908. The collection contains minutes, committee reports, correspondence, financial and legal papers.
Overview Friends' Central School was founded in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, as a Quaker secondary school by a Joint Committee of three Hicksite monthly meetings (Society of Friends). It was first located at 4th and Cherry Sts. In 1857, it was moved to 15th and Race Sts., and in 1925, it was moved to its present location in Overbrook, Pa. The current academic program includes grades K-12. The collection contains minutes of the Friends' Central School and Friends' Central School System and related papers.
Overview Friends' Freedmen's Association was an organization of Philadelphia Quakers founded in 1863 as Friends' Association of Philadelphia and Its Vicinity, for the Relief of Colored Freemen. Its purpose was to provide relief and education to freed slaves during and after the Civil War. The name was changed circa 1873. From 1947-1955 the Association supported black students in schools and summer work camps. From 1955-1970 the income from investments was used to provide grants for scholarship to needy...