SFHL/FHL/RG4. Organizational Records
Record Group Term
Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College holds the records of many organizations that were established by or largely under the direction of members of the Society of Friends.
Found in 60 Collections and/or Records:
Overview Friends Social Union was founded in 1924 in Philadelphia, Pa., as a social club for Quaker men. In 1976 the by-laws were amended to include women as members. The records include by-laws, minutes, and miscellaneous, 1924-1978.
Dates: 1924-1978; 1924-1978
Overview The Grandom Institution was a charity established in 1841 through the will of Hartt Grandom, a Philadelphia Quaker, to provide fuel, clothing, and financial assistance to poor Philadelphians. The collection contains minutes, reports, legal, and financial records, as well as similar records of two affiliated but independent organizations, the Fuel Savings Society of the City and Liberties of Philadelphia, and the Philadelphia Soup House and records pertaining to the William Keinath Fund, an...
Overview Griscom Hall Association was a Quaker organization which established and ran Griscom Hall, a summer recreational facility for young Quakers in Buck Hill Falls, Pennsylvania. The collection contains correspondence, reports, a history of the Hall and the Association, and other related papers.
Overview Gwynedd Boarding School was a Quaker boarding school for boys operated by the Foulke family in Gwynedd, Pennsylvania. The collection contains an account book (1847-1848), list of students (1853-1860), and material relating to an alumni association (1901).
Overview The Home for the Moral Reform of Destitute Colored Children, an Orthodox Quaker charity which provided shelter and education for black children, was organized in 1854 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The Home was incorporated in 1860. By the end of the 19th century, the organization's primary function was providing financial support for other educational and shelter programs for black youths, including The Shelter (Association for the Care of Colored Orphans). This bound volume contains the...
Overview The Howard Institution was a Quaker women's charity founded in Philadelphia in 1853 to provide shelter to discharged female prisoners. Its scope was later broadened to assist more generally troubled women and girls. It ceased activity in 1956. The collection contains correspondence from 1942 to 1956, administrative papers, and printed reports and history.
Overview Records of Barnes Trustees Inc., formed in 1949 to hold in trust for Abington Meeting and School the land deeded for its use February of 1697. Also included in their responsibility are investments made with funds received from land sales over time.
Overview The Ladies Benevolent Association of New Brighton was a largely Quaker women's society, founded in 1846 in New Brighton, Pennsylvania, to provide clothing and other necessities to destitute poor. In 1907, the Ladies Benevolent Association cooperated with groups to engage a visiting nurse; this organization, known as the District Nurse Association was disbanded five years later. After World War II, the need for sewing declined, and the Ladies Benevolent Association then turned its support to the...
Overview The Martin Academy was a Quaker school established in 1880 by a bequest of Samuel Martin (1802-1880). The collection contains vouchers and financial notes and some miscellaneous papers, including extracts relating to the Academy in the minutes of Kennett Monthly and Preparative Meetings and legal papers.
Overview Media Friends Association, a Quaker study and social group, was established in 1894 in Media, Pennsylvania, by members of Providence Preparative Meeting (Hicksite). The goal of the Association was to further discussion and knowledge of the history and testimonies of Friends, and the meetings, which included reports, papers, and readings, were open to all who were interested. The collection contains one volume of minutes, with constitution and by-laws included.