SFHL/FHL/RG4. Organizational Records
Record Group Term
Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College holds the records of many organizations that were established by or largely under the direction of members of the Society of Friends.
Found in 60 Collections and/or Records:
Overview Quakers Uniting in Publications (QUIP) is a group founded in 1983 to promote production and distribution of Quaker materials. It is an international network of organizations and individuals that work to make Quaker publications more accessible and to support the production of Quaker publications through forums, conferences, annual meetings, and collaborative projects. This collection includes documents concerning the group's formation, membership lists, treasurer's records, correspondence,...
Overview The Richard Humphreys Foundation was created as the result of a bequest of Richard Humphreys (1750-1832), a Philadelphia Quaker who left funds for the establishment of a school for blacks in Philadelphia. The school was founded as the Institute for Colored Youth. A group of Quakers, known first as the Association and after 1842 as the Corporation, oversaw the Institute. Actual management was performed by a board of managers who reported to the Corporation. The Corporation was successively known...
Overview The School of the Spirit is a ministry of prayer and teaching under the care of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting's Worship and Care Standing Committee. Its primary activity is the two-year program, "On Being a Spiritual Nurturer."
Overview Sunnycrest Farm for Negro Boys was founded in 1855 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, as the Home for Destitute Colored Children, a Hicksite Quaker women's charity which provided shelter and education for black children (generally boys) and then placed them with private families. The Home built a new facility in Cheyney, Pa, in 1922, and the name was changed to Sunnycrest Farm for Negro Boys in 1945. The collection contains minutes, financial and legal records, and reports.
Overview The Swarthmore Refugee Resource House, Swarthmore, Pa., was founded in 1979 by members of Swarthmore Monthly Meeting as a place of temporary assistance and shelter for legal refugees in gaining independence by providing them with shelter, counseling and tutoring in English. The Swarthmore Refugee House was incorporated in 1988 as a non-profit corporation. However, the House was laid down in 1994 when Swarthmore College reclaimed its building and the Board was unable to find either sufficient...
Overview The Harned was a non-profit boarding home for the elderly in Moylan, PA, under the care of Media Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends. It operated under the direction of The Harned Committee. It was established in 1940 through the bequest of Quaker sisters, Phebe and Katherine Harned, and laid down in 1994. The collection contains minutes and reports, admission and financial papers, and other related information.
The Northern Association of the City and County of Philadelphia for the Relief and Employment of Poor Women records
Overview This Hicksite Quaker women's charity was organized in 1844 and incorporated in 1856. Its mission was to provide employment in sewing for poor women. Lucretia Mott served as president until 1866. The Association went out of existence in 1926. The collection contains legal documents, financial records, membership list (1849-1872), reports, correspondence, and related papers.
Overview The Temperance Association of Friends of Media was a Quaker temperance association in Media, Pennsylvania, established in 1883. The records include the constitution, minutes, financial records, correspondence, and related papers.
Overview The Union Lyceum, established 1875, was a literary society whose membership consisted primarily of members of the Society of Friends in the Ambler and Gwynedd area of Montgomery County, Pa. The records contain minutes 1875-1900 (gap 1891-1900) and the 25th Anniversary Program.
Overview Young Friends' Association (Kennett Square, Pa.), a Quaker social and study group, was established in 1892 in Kennett Square, Pa. This collection contains the constitution and minutes, 1892-1905, in one bound volume.