SFHL/FHL/RG4. Organizational Records
Record Group Term
Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College holds the records of many organizations that were established by or largely under the direction of members of the Society of Friends.
Found in 16 Collections and/or Records:
Overview This small collection contains papers relating to the Martha Schofield Scholarship Fund, named after Quaker educator Martha Schofield, and restricted to students from Aiken County, South Carolina.
Overview The Martin Academy was a Quaker school established in 1880 by a bequest of Samuel Martin (1802-1880). The collection contains vouchers and financial notes and some miscellaneous papers, including extracts relating to the Academy in the minutes of Kennett Monthly and Preparative Meetings and legal papers.
Overview Media-Providence Friends School was established in 1981 through the merger of two educational institutions, Media Friends' School and Providence Friends School, both located in Media, Pennsylvania. The collection include minutes, financial records, correspondence and other papers, and pictures relating to Media Friends' School (1876-1881), Friends' Select School (Media) which merged with Media Friends' in 1930 (1885-1930), Providence Friends School (1974-1981), and Media-Providence Friends...
Overview Formed in 1798 to give aid to the sick poor, the New York Female Association created the first public female school in New York in 1800. Until 1845, it worked with the Free School Society to establish and maintain public schools in New York while also continuing its efforts to help the indigent. Since 1845, the association has been a small gift-giving committee. The collection includes minutes and financial records.
Overview The Richard Humphreys Foundation was created as the result of a bequest of Richard Humphreys (1750-1832), a Philadelphia Quaker who left funds for the establishment of a school for blacks in Philadelphia. The school was founded as the Institute for Colored Youth. A group of Quakers, known first as the Association and after 1842 as the Corporation, oversaw the Institute. Actual management was performed by a board of managers who reported to the Corporation. The Corporation was successively known...
Overview The Meeting School was an experimental, co-educational Quaker farm school located in Rindge, N.H. It was founded in 1957 and closed in 2011. The collection contains the records from its inception to closing, publications, and other related records.
Dates: 1957 - 2014