SFHL/FHL/RG4. Organizational Records
Record Group Term
Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College holds the records of many organizations that were established by or largely under the direction of members of the Society of Friends.
Found in 119 Collections and/or Records:
Overview The Pennsylvania Hall Association was a stockholders association formed in 1837 to erect a building in Philadelphia dedicated “to Liberty and the Rights of Man.” Many of the primary movers behind the Association were Quakers involved in the anti-slavery movement. The building was opened on May 14, 1838, and, as a symbol of the abolitionist movement, was destroyed by an angry mob on May 17, 1838. This collection contains minutes of the Board of Managers of the Association, 1838-1847, financial...
Overview Records of Philadelphia Friends Housing Inc., an independent corporation affiliated with Central Philadelphia Monthly Meeting of Friends. The corporation raised and lent money for urban redevelopment in Philadelphia.
Overview Philadelphia Quaker Women was a organization, informal in structure and membership, which worked with the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends to address the concerns of women. It was laid down in 1970. This collection contains minutes, financial reports, correspondence, and miscellaneous material, 1961-1971.
Overview Philadelphia Young Friends' Association was a Hicksite organization established in 1888 for educational and social purposes. The Young Friends Association established and operated The Whittier, a hotel and social center in Philadelphia. The name of the Association was changed in 1957 to The Whittier Association. The collection contains minutes, financial records, correspondence, and other records.
Overview Friends Committee on Unity with Nature (FCUN) grew out of the Workshop on Living in Harmony with the Natural Environment at the FGC Gathering at Oberlin in 1987. In 2001, sixteen North American yearly meetings appointed representatives to its Annual Meeting. In 2003, their name was changed to Quaker Earthcare Witness. The group publishes a newsletter, BeFriending Creation.
Overview The Quaker Information Center was established in 1990 at Friends Center, Philadelphia, Pa., to provide a central, staffed location for the display and sale of published material and dissemination of information about the Society of Friends. Collection includes minutes, annual reports, correspondence, financial records, and other records.
Overview The planning committee for the Quaker Lesbian Conference emerged out discussions in the 1970s focused on Quaker gay and lesbian concerns. The first Quaker Lesbian Conference met in 1977 "to provide a loving time and space in which Quakers and others familiar with Quakerism who are lesbian, bi-sexual, or moving towards those identities could meet in a shared environment," according to an early statement. The planning committee organized annual conferences from 1977 to 2009, mostly located in the...
Overview Contains records, 1982-1990, of the Quaker Universalist Fellowship which was founded in 1983 in part as an American response to the London-based Quaker Universalist Group. As stated in publications: The Quaker Universalist Fellowship is an informal gathering of persons who cherish the spirit of universality that has always been intrinsic to the Quaker faith. The Fellowship produces annual pamphlets and a journal, Universalist Friends: The Journal of The Quaker...
Overview Quakers Uniting in Publications (QUIP) is a group founded in 1983 to promote production and distribution of Quaker materials. It is an international network of organizations and individuals that work to make Quaker publications more accessible and to support the production of Quaker publications through forums, conferences, annual meetings, and collaborative projects. This collection includes documents concerning the group's formation, membership lists, treasurer's records, correspondence,...
Overview The Richard Humphreys Foundation was created as the result of a bequest of Richard Humphreys (1750-1832), a Philadelphia Quaker who left funds for the establishment of a school for blacks in Philadelphia. The school was founded as the Institute for Colored Youth. A group of Quakers, known first as the Association and after 1842 as the Corporation, oversaw the Institute. Actual management was performed by a board of managers who reported to the Corporation. The Corporation was successively known...