SFHL/FHL/RG4. Organizational Records
Record Group Term
Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College holds the records of many organizations that were established by or largely under the direction of members of the Society of Friends.
Found in 119 Collections and/or Records:
Overview The Bucks Auxiliary Bible Association of Friends, a Quaker Bible distribution society, located in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, was established in 2nd month, 1830, under the Bible Association of Friends in America. Its purpose was to supply “Friends and others with the Holy Scripture, “to encourage “the frequent and serious perusal of them”, and to promote “a more accurate knowledge of their invaluable contents”. All subscriptions collected by the Auxiliary were turned over to the parent body,...
Overview The Burlington First-Day School Union was a Hicksite Quaker organization established in 1888. It included representatives from nine First-Day schools in Burlington and Mercer Counties, New Jersey, who met quarterly. Included are minutes of the Union, 1894-1902, and reports from First-day schools at Trenton, Upper Springfield, Mount Holly, Crosswicks, Mansfield, Mount, East Branch, Rancocas, and Vincentown.
Overview Byberry Hall Association was organized in 1854 when the citizens of Byberry township and vicinity decided to form a company for the purpose of erecting a building where residents could meet to hear lectures, hold elections, etc. This collection contains the records of the Byberry Hall Association, 1847-1981. It includes the secretary's book containing minutes (1854-1905); account books, deeds and miscellaneous papers.
Overview Byberry Library Company was founded in 1794 and incorporated in 1799. Located in the Byberry section of Philadelphia, Pa., the Library was generally under Quaker management. The collection includes the minutes of the director's meetings; constitution and by-laws, financial and property records, and miscellaneous papers.
Overview The Byberry School Association was formed in 1837 by several members of the Society of Friends, mostly members of Byberry Monthly Meeting (Hicksite) for the purpose of raising stock to buy land and erect a secondary school in Byberry, Pennsylvania. It includes minutes, financial records, and some miscellaneous papers.
Overview The Central Employment Association, a women's charity, was established circa 1840 in Philadelphia by Hicksite Quakers as the Northern Female Association for the Relief of the Sick and Infirm Poor. The collection contains the charter and by-laws, work and financial records, and correspondence, 1840-1942.
Overview The Central Soup Society of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, was incorporated on March 6, 1861, with the charitable purpose of distributing soup and other food to the poor and needy during the inclement seasons. The organization was founded by Hicksite Quakers and continued to serve the people of Philadelphia throughout the 20th century. It survives at the turn of the 21st century as a foundation. Records of the Central Soup Society; includes financial records, minutes, and miscellaneous historical...
Overview The Chester Friends Association was established in Chester, Pennsylvania, in 1901 as a society to study Quaker history and literature. This collection contains the record book of Chester Friends Association, a society to study Quaker history and literature. The volume contains minutes, constitution, and by-laws.
Overview Minutes and financial records for the "Here a Little, There a Little" Chapter of the King's Daughters, an international Christian philanthropic association. Records are dated from the 1892-1975, with gaps. While this New York chapter was primarily Quaker, the association itself was evangelical Christian in orientation, with Baptist and Congregationalist membership in other parts of the world. Members gathered to read Bible passages, discuss Lenten observance, and perform philanthropic work. The...
Convention of Delegates from the Seven Yearly Meetings (Hicksite) on Indian Affairs. Executive Central Committee Records
Overview The Convention of Delegates was an association of seven Hicksite Yearly Meetings who managed Indian affairs in the Northern Superintendency during the period of President U.S. Grant's “Peace Policy.” The collection contains correspondence and reports of Indian agents, extracts from minutes and reports, financial records, legislative documents, and printed materials published by the convention. Persons represented include William Burgess, John G. Gasmann, Albert L. Green, Samuel M. Janney, M.B....