SFHL/FHL/RG4. Organizational Records
Record Group Term
Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College holds the records of many organizations that were established by or largely under the direction of members of the Society of Friends.
Found in 119 Collections and/or Records:
Overview Fair Hill Burial Ground was established on land bequeathed by George Fox in 1690 to Friends in Pennsylvania, including six acres "for a meeting house and school house and a burying place." Part of the land was set aside as a burial ground as early 1707, but there were few interments. In 1830, it was proposed that a burial ground be established for three Hicksite Philadelphia Monthly meetings, Philadelphia, Spruce Street, and Green Street. In 1985, the property was sold to Ephesians Baptist...
Overview Contains the records of the Fair Housing Council of Suburban Philadelphia and its affiliated organization, Friends Suburban Housing, Inc. Friends Suburban Housing, Inc., was a non-discriminatory real estate brokerage firm in the Philadelphia suburbs, founded in 1956. The Fair Housing Council of Suburban Philadelphia also began in 1956 as the Southeastern Delaware County Area Committee of Friends Suburban Housing Committee. Records include minutes, case files, financial and legal papers.
Overview The Fellowship of Quakers in the Arts was founded in 1993 "to nurture and showcase the literary, visual, musical and performing arts within the Society of Friends, for the purpose of Quaker expression, ministry, witness and outreach," according to the group's mission statement. The collection contains the records of the Fellowship of Quakers in the Arts from its founding in 1993 until 1998, including administrative documents, newsletters, and member information.
Overview The Female Association of Philadelphia for the Relief of the Sick and Infirm Poor with Clothing was a Quaker charity founded in 1828 to distribute clothing and provide other assistance to the sick and poor of Philadelphia. It went out of existence in 1975.
Overview Fowler Orphanage (later Fowler Home for Girls) in Cairo, Egypt was founded in 1906 with money collected by John and Esther Fowler, both members of the Society of Friends. The Fowler Orphanage Association, afiliated with Ohio Yearly Meeting (Conservative), was formed in 1927 to provide support and met yearly until it was laid down in 1987. Collection includes minutes of the Association as well as related correspondence, financial records, and photographs.
Overview This collection contains papers related to the publication of the Quaker periodical, Friendly Woman. Friendly Woman is a quarterly journal focusing on Quaker women's concerns and experiences. The periodical contains essays, fiction, poetry, commentary, and art.
Overview The Byberry Friends Association was a Quaker group which met monthly in Byberry, Pa, to hear papers on a variety of topics and to discuss issues of the day. This collection contains the records of the Friends Association of Byberry, 1900-1932.
Overview Friends Boarding Home of Bucks Quarterly Meeting, a Quaker boarding home for the aged in Newtown. Pennsylvania, was opened in 1897 and incorporated in 1899. In 1900 it moved to a new building erected on Congress Street, with funds given by Edward M. Paxson in memory of his parents. Friends' Village was opened in 1981. The records include correspondence, minute books, constitution and legal papers, reports, and other papers.
Overview The Friends Boarding House in Trenton, New Jersey, was established in 1898 by the Burlington Quarterly Meeting, Philadelphia Yearly Meeting (Hicksite). Its purpose was to provide an inexpensive, permanent home for aging Quakers and others. The Friends Boarding House in Trenton, New Jersey was laid down by the Quarterly Meeting in 1985. This collection contains the records of the Friends Boarding Home, established by the Burlington Quarter. It includes Board minutes, financial records, and...