Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results
Archives & Manuscripts

SFHL/FHL/RG4. Organizational Records

 Record Group Term
Identifier: SFHL/FHL/RG4
Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College holds the records of many organizations that were established by or largely under the direction of members of the Society of Friends.

Found in 119 Collections and/or Records:

Friends World Committee for Consultation. Section of the Americas Records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG1
Overview A Friends World Conference Committee, sponsored by the Fellowship Council of the American Friends Service Committee, was established in 1932 to promote better understanding among Friends world wide. The representatives at the Second World Conference of Friends, held at Swarthmore and Haverford Colleges, Pa., in 1937, approved the establishment of a continuing international organization, a Friends World Committee, to promote international contacts and cooperation among Friends. In 1958, it was...

Gasport Woman's Christian Temperance Union records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-126
Overview This small collection contains the minutes of the Gasport branch of the Woman's Christian Temperance Union, 1912-1927, and financial records, 1927-1967. While the group was non-sectarian, many of its members belonged to Hartland (Gasport) Monthly Meeting.

Gibbons Home (Springfield, Pa.) records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-106
Overview The Gibbons Home was a residential home in Springfield Township, Delaware County, Pa., for elderly women of limited income. It was established in 1918 by the will of Sallie P. Gibbons, the last survivor of a family which had local Quaker roots. The Home was finally opened in the family house on Baltimore Pike in 1940. The house was torn down in 1970 to make way for a mall, and the Gibbons Home moved to a new building on Lincoln Avenue in Springfield. In 2000 the assets of the Home were...

Grandom Institution (Philadelphia, Pa.)

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-040
Overview The Grandom Institution was a charity established in 1841 through the will of Hartt Grandom, a Philadelphia Quaker, to provide fuel, clothing, and financial assistance to poor Philadelphians. The collection contains minutes, reports, legal, and financial records, as well as similar records of two affiliated but independent organizations, the Fuel Savings Society of the City and Liberties of Philadelphia, and the Philadelphia Soup House and records pertaining to the William Keinath Fund, an...

Griscom Hall Association

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-041
Overview Griscom Hall Association was a Quaker organization which established and ran Griscom Hall, a summer recreational facility for young Quakers in Buck Hill Falls, Pennsylvania. The collection contains correspondence, reports, a history of the Hall and the Association, and other related papers.

Gwynedd Boarding School (Gwynedd, Pa.)

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-042
Overview Gwynedd Boarding School was a Quaker boarding school for boys operated by the Foulke family in Gwynedd, Pennsylvania. The collection contains an account book (1847-1848), list of students (1853-1860), and material relating to an alumni association (1901).

Hollywood Children's Summer Home of Baltimore City

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-079
Overview The Hollywood Children's Summer Home of Baltimore City was a Quaker association established in 1892 to provide a two-week outing in the countryside for poor children of Baltimore City and vicinity. It was closed in 1917, due to the proliferation of other fresh air charities in Baltimore. The collection includes minutes, financial records, roll book, and annual reports.

Home for the Moral Reform of Destitute Colored Children

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-044
Overview The Home for the Moral Reform of Destitute Colored Children, an Orthodox Quaker charity which provided shelter and education for black children, was organized in 1854 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The Home was incorporated in 1860. By the end of the 19th century, the organization's primary function was providing financial support for other educational and shelter programs for black youths, including The Shelter (Association for the Care of Colored Orphans). This bound volume contains the...

Howard Institution (Philadelphia, Pa.)

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-045
Overview The Howard Institution was a Quaker women's charity founded in Philadelphia in 1853 to provide shelter to discharged female prisoners. Its scope was later broadened to assist more generally troubled women and girls. It ceased activity in 1956. The collection contains correspondence from 1942 to 1956, administrative papers, and printed reports and history.

Incest Survivors Resource Network International Papers

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-101
Overview In 1983, Anne Marie Eriksson (formerly Anne Marie Townsend) and husband Erik Eriksson helped found the Incest Survivors Resource Network International (ISRNI), a Quaker witness educational resource for incest survivors. After 15 years of operation, the firm filed for dissolution on June 5, 1998. The organization became a committee of the New York Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends. ISRNI was a survivor-initiated organization that encouraged coordinated intervention and...