Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results
Archives & Manuscripts

SFHL/FHL/RG4. Organizational Records

 Record Group Term
Identifier: SFHL/FHL/RG4
Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College holds the records of many organizations that were established by or largely under the direction of members of the Society of Friends.

Found in 119 Collections and/or Records:

John Barnes Trustees Records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-122
Overview Records of Barnes Trustees Inc., formed in 1949 to hold in trust for Abington Meeting and School the land deeded for its use February of 1697. Also included in their responsibility are investments made with funds received from land sales over time.

Joint Committee on Indian Affairs of the Four Yearly Meetings of Genesee, Baltimore, New York and Philadelphia

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-046
Overview The Indian Committees of New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Genesee (Hicksite) united in 1838 to protect the Seneca Indians from the Ogden Land Company which was trying to buy their land. This collection contains papers relating to the joint committee of representatives, including correspondence chiefly concerning the ceding of Seneca lands in New York by treaty under questionable circumstances. Correspondents include Benjamin Ferris (1780-1867).

Kendal Residents Association Records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-118
Overview Kendal at Longwood is a Quaker-sponsored retirement community located in Kennett Square, Pennsylvania. The Kendal Residents' Association Collection includes records of the History Committee and copies of the Kendal Reporter.

Ladies Art Association (New York, N.Y.)

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-047
Overview The Ladies Art Association was founded in New York City in 1867, and its members were involved in studio art and art education. Many of its members and officers were Quakers. The collection contains the Association's constitution, publicity materials, correspondence (1887-1914), and other records.

Ladies Benevolent Association of New Brighton (Pa.)

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-072
Overview The Ladies Benevolent Association of New Brighton was a largely Quaker women's society, founded in 1846 in New Brighton, Pennsylvania, to provide clothing and other necessities to destitute poor. In 1907, the Ladies Benevolent Association cooperated with groups to engage a visiting nurse; this organization, known as the District Nurse Association was disbanded five years later. After World War II, the need for sewing declined, and the Ladies Benevolent Association then turned its support to the...

Martha Schofield Scholarship Fund

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-048
Overview This small collection contains papers relating to the Martha Schofield Scholarship Fund, named after Quaker educator Martha Schofield, and restricted to students from Aiken County, South Carolina.

Martin Academy (Kennett Square, Pa.)

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-049
Overview The Martin Academy was a Quaker school established in 1880 by a bequest of Samuel Martin (1802-1880). The collection contains vouchers and financial notes and some miscellaneous papers, including extracts relating to the Academy in the minutes of Kennett Monthly and Preparative Meetings and legal papers.

Media Friends' Association minutes

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-085
Overview Media Friends Association, a Quaker study and social group, was established in 1894 in Media, Pennsylvania, by members of Providence Preparative Meeting (Hicksite). The goal of the Association was to further discussion and knowledge of the history and testimonies of Friends, and the meetings, which included reports, papers, and readings, were open to all who were interested. The collection contains one volume of minutes, with constitution and by-laws included.

Media-Providence Friends School

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-050
Overview Media-Providence Friends School was established in 1981 through the merger of two educational institutions, Media Friends' School and Providence Friends School, both located in Media, Pennsylvania. The collection include minutes, financial records, correspondence and other papers, and pictures relating to Media Friends' School (1876-1881), Friends' Select School (Media) which merged with Media Friends' in 1930 (1885-1930), Providence Friends School (1974-1981), and Media-Providence Friends...

National Capital Area Association of Friends Records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-067
Overview The National Capital Area Association of Friends, an organization established to coordinate actives and resources of Friends in the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area, was founded in 1971. It succeeded an earlier organization, the Friends Council of the National Capital Area, which was established in 1966 by the Committee on the Organization of Friends in the Washington Metropolitan Area. This collection contains the minutes, financial and other papers concerning the National Capital Area...