SFHL/FHL/RG4. Organizational Records
Record Group Term
Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College holds the records of many organizations that were established by or largely under the direction of members of the Society of Friends.
Found in 119 Collections and/or Records:
Overview The National Conference of Friends on Race Relations was initiated in 1956 in order to stimulate individual Friends and Quaker meetings to work directly in the field of race relations. Conferences were held at irregular intervals and various locations between 1956 and 1970. It was succeeded in 1970 by Friends for Human Justice which in turn was laid down circa 1976. Both organizations were under the umbrella of Friends World Committee for Consultation. (FWCC). The Records include materials from...
Overview Formed in 1798 to give aid to the sick poor, the New York Female Association created the first public female school in New York in 1800. Until 1845, it worked with the Free School Society to establish and maintain public schools in New York while also continuing its efforts to help the indigent. Since 1845, the association has been a small gift-giving committee. The collection includes minutes and financial records.
Overview The Novelty was a women's social club founded in Lansdowne, Pennsylvania, in 1887. Most of its first members were Quakers and members of Lansdowne Monthly Meeting. The group was established "for the promotion of sociability and good house and home-keeping," according to its by-laws. The records include minutes, 1887-1938 and scattered, 1954, 1982-1984; by-laws and membership lists and attendance, writings by members, histories, and some miscellaneous material.
Overview Audio cassettes and some transcripts of interviews with 55 Quakers, chiefly born in Chester County between 1889-1910. Interviews contain largely autobiographical data, as well as information about Quaker life and Chester County in general.
Overview The Ozone Club was a golf association for Quaker men in the Philadelphia area. It was established in 1901 and included in its membership the presidents of Swarthmore College and prominent Quakers. The Niblick Club which was set-off from the Ozone Club in the 1920s, also was a men's golf association with Quaker membership. The Ozone Club records include minute books, correspondence and miscellaneous papers. A small amount of records from the Niblick Club is also included with the collection,...
Overview Contains the records, 1968-1987, of Partnership for Productivity, a Quaker-sponsored program in overseas economic development, created to advise small business ventures primarily in African countries. Founded in 1969 by David H. Scull with an initial project in Western Kenya, it was designed to provide capital for loans or investments combined with management counsel and personal supervision through its two organs, the Partnership for Productivity Foundation/USA, Inc., and the Partnership for...
Overview Pendle Hill is a Quaker study center located in Wallingford, Pennsylvania. It was established in 1930 out of an earlier Quaker school and study center, the Woolman School. The Woolman School was established in 1915 under the care of the General Conference Committee of the Seven Yearly Meetings (Hicksite). In 1917, it was reorganized as a joint enterprise of Hicksite and Orthodox Friends, governed by a Board of Managers. The Woolman School was incorporated in 1918. In 1928, it was reorganized as...
Overview A Friends Home Association was established in 1891 in New York City. The Penington was acquired in 1899 at 215 15th Street, adjoining 15th Street Meeting House, and serves as a boarding home for Friends and friendly people. In 1983, the Penington was reorganized and a new Board was elected. After a major renovation in 1985, the name was changed to Penington Friends House to reflect a return to a more Quakerly style of management. Collection contains minutes, guest registers, reports and...
Overview Penn Sewing School was founded in 1868 as the Friends Sewing School. The name was changed in 1871 and classes suspended in 1899. The collection contains minute books (1876-1906), charter, history, printed report, and other papers.