SFHL/SCA/dept. Departments (Academic and Support)
Record Group Term
Found in 8 Collections and/or Records:
Overview This collection contains the records of Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College, Quaker reference library and archives, founded in 1871. Included are administrative records and correspondence, primarily that of the librarians and other staff, and miscellaneous records.
Overview Swarthmore College offered its first elective course in Astronomy in the mid 1870's. In 1885, the Board reported a proposal to erect an observatory near the east end of the College property. After Professor Susan Cunningham retired in 1906, Dr. John A. Miller was appointed as Professor of Mathematics and Astronomy. Until 1952, courses were listed under the Department of Mathematics and Astronomy; a separate Department of Astronomy existed until it became the Department of Physics and Astronomy...
Overview Although informal vocational lectures were offered on campus as early as 1916, it was not until 1938 that a formalized vocational guidance and job placement program was instituted at Swarthmore College. Initially, support was provided to male students through the Alumni Office and to female students through the Women's Student Government Association. The gender-segregated programs were later consolidated into a single Career Planning and Placement Office, today known as the Office of Career...
Overview During World War II, Swarthmore College offered relief and reconstruction training programs, initially at the graduate level for men in the Civilian Public Service (CPS), and later as an undergraduate major. This collection consists of meeting minutes, correspondence, syllabi, reports, and other documents relating to Civilian Foreign Service (CFS) training programs at colleges and universities, particularly the CFS program at Swarthmore. The collection was compiled by J. Roland Pennock, a...
Overview At Swarthmore classes in dance technique have been offered as part of the physical education curriculum for men and women since the 1940s. The study of dance at Swarthmore College became part of the performing arts program in the late 1970s and was established as a major and minor in course and Honors in 1999. The collection contains materials relating to the the Swarthmore Folk Festival and other folk dance activities at Swarthmore (known as the "Co-Ed Dance Club"), as well as documents dating...
Collection — Box 1
Overview This small collection consists of Swarthmore College Engineering Department brochures, newsletters, photographs, clippings, and other materials. Of special interest are a selection of letters, primarily notes from alumnni with life updates (including wedding invitations), as well as a letter from US President Franklin D. Roosevelt.
Scope and Contents The collection is divided into two series: 1) Data, primarily surveys and data sheets, ranging in topic from the facilities and programs at Swarthmore College to the students attending and financial aid; 2) Reports, especially accreditation reports and self-studies.
Overview Some structured exercise program, physical education or "physical culture," has always been required of Swarthmore students as a condition of enrollment or graduation, from its earliest years into the 21st century. In 1888 Swarthmore College formed a Department of Physical Culture, now known as the Physical Education Department. The Swarthmore College Physical Education and Athletics Department records, 1921-1996, includes reports on the department, sports news releases, and other...