SFHL/SCA. Swarthmore College Archives
The Friends Historical Library collects, preserves, and provides access to the institutional archives of Swarthmore College.
Creator: Swarthmore College
Found in 138 Collections and/or Records:
Overview The Intercultural Center (IC) at Swarthmore College was founded in 1992 to promote systemic change toward a multicultural perspective across the institution and to foster community-building and collaboration among diverse groups within and outside of the college. The collection contains records relating to the founding of the IC and its activiites, as well as records that detail the activities of groups within the IC, specfically HOLA (Hispanics Organized for Latino Awareness/Hispanic...
Overview The Scientific Society of Swarthmore College was organized in 1880. In 1895, it was renamed the Joseph Leidy Scientific Society. The organization was open to students, faculty and staff as well as local residents of the Borough of Swarthmore. Its mission was to keep abreast of developments in science. The collection contains the constitution, a published paper read before the Society, and a book of minutes, 1902-1915.
Overview This collection consists of primarily published materials, 1891-1933, relating to Kappa Alpha Theta, Alpha Beta Chapter, the first sorority to maintain a chapter at Swarthmore College. The Chapter was established in 1891 and laid down in 1933 when the College abolished sororities. Included are national publications of the fraternity, directories of Swarthmore chapter alumnae; an initiation certificate; and a photograph album.
Overview Kappa Sigma Pi was the Pi Chapter of the national fraternity Kappa Sigma until 1962 when it was suspended on charges of "attempting to involve other chapters in organizing to defy some of the Kappa Sigma basic principles." The local folded in 1971 due to low membership and financial debt. This small collection contains material pertaining to its last years.
Overview The collection of Swarthmore College lantern slides contains historic images of the College and Borough of Swarthmore and photographs of College events and activities. The core of the collection was the selection presented by Professor George A. Hoadley at the Alumni Banquet on June 9, 1917. An avid amateur photographer, he served as the president of the Swarthmore College Camera Club which sponsored an annual lantern slide exhibition. The lantern slides were created from a number of sources...
Overview The Little Theater Club was established at Swarthmore College about 1922 to create a stable foundation for theatrical projects and coordinate productions on campus. No course credit was given for participation. After Swarthmore created a Drama Department in 1968/69, the Little Theater Club became inactive. The collection contains the records of the Little Theater Club of Swarthmore College, 1924-1969, including programs, scripts, clippings, financial records, and related materials. Also...
Overview The Swarthmore Living Wage and Democracy Campaign (SLW&DC), composed primarily of students with participation of staff and faculty, lobbiyed for a comprehensive living wage on campus and for greater transparency in the College's decision-making. SLW&DC formed in 2000 wound down in 2004 after the Board of Managers passed a proposal that met most of their demands. This collection was assembled by Kae Kalwaic, a staff member in the Education Department at Swarthmore from 1993-2017, who was...
Overview This collection consists of memorandums distributed to the Swarthmore College faculty and staff, primarily from the college president and members of senior administration.
Overview The Men's Judiciary Committee was established at Swarthmore College during the 1951-1952 academic year as a committee selected by the Men's Executive Committee to have jurisdiction over cases in which male undergraduates violated college rules in the dormitories or campus, with the exception of in the fraternity lodges. This collection contains the files of the Committee for the years 1952-1963.