SFHL/SCA. Swarthmore College Archives
The Friends Historical Library collects, preserves, and provides access to the institutional archives of Swarthmore College.
Creator: Swarthmore College
Found in 138 Collections and/or Records:
Overview This collection contains meeting minutes, handbooks, and other records of the Women's Athletic Association of Swarthmore College (WAA), a student organization that held various administrative responsibilities relating to women's athletics. It was founded in 1898 as the Girls' Athletic Club of Swarthmore College. The Women's Athletic Association existed in some form into the 1980s at least.
Overview The Swarthmore College Women's Resource Center was founded in 1974. It was named the Alice Paul Women's Center until the name was changed in the early 1990s to the Women's Resource Center. This collection includes records relating to the founding of Swarthmore’s Women’s Center, minutes, logbooks, and other papers.
Overview The Swarthmore College Radio Club, founded before 1933, was reorganized in 1939. It was open to all students interested in short wave radio communication. The club had its own transmitter and operated station W3YJ, affiliated with the American Radio Relay League. In 1940, the Radio Club began to sponsor the Swarthmore Network, a wired wireless station on the commercial broadcast band. The station acquired its current call letters, WSRN, sometime before 1952; it was a member of the...
Overview Ye Monks of the Black Cowl was a secret society composed of ten male students chose from even year classes at Swarthmore College. The file contains the initiation rite, constitution, a scavenger hunt, and other papers.
Dates: 1912-1919 ,n.d.
Overview This collection consists of 15 mounted black and white photographs of scenes in Trotter Hall prior to renovation. Trotter Hall is an academic building on Swarthmore College's campus. It was renovated approximately in 1993.
Overview Gertrude Weaver graduated from Swarthmore College in 1938 with degrees on German and History, and spent her junior year (1936-1937) in Munich. After graduation, she taught German at Chester High School where she and her students corresponded sent relief packages to families in Western Europe struggling to survive in impoverished post-World War II Europe. This collection contains Weaver’s correspondence with the recipients of her aid, as well as records of the logistics of the operation. The...
Overview Harrison M. Wright taught history at Swarthmore College from 1957 to 1979 and from 1984 until his retirement in 1993. He was college provost from 1979 to 1984 and served as acting president during the 1980-81 academic year. This collection contains papers from the committees on which Wright served, as well as from faculty meetings and bulletins. Topics include renovations of college buildings, revisions of college rules, increasing radicalism/student activism on campus, disciplinary issues,...
Overview Phyllis Nelson Yuhas (1922-2006) was an emeritus professor of history and one of the founders of international education at Ball State University, Indiana. She graduated from Swarthmore College in 1944 and received a master’s degree from the Harvard Graduate School of Education and Ph.D. from the University of Iowa.. The collection contains letters, 1940-1944, from Phyllis Ann Nelson, a student at Swarthmore College, to her family in Iowa. She wrote weekly letters, detailing her daily...