SFHL/SCA. Swarthmore College Archives
The Friends Historical Library collects, preserves, and provides access to the institutional archives of Swarthmore College.
Creator: Swarthmore College
Found in 138 Collections and/or Records:
Overview In the early years of Swarthmore College, applicants applied directly to the College President and the cost of attendance was $350 per year. In the 21st century, a separately staffed Admissions Office and an Office of Financial Aid exist to support these functions. This small collection, dating from 1869 to 2003, includes admissions blanks, lists of applicants, reports, and other materials that document Swarthmore's admissions and financial aid policies and procedures.
Dates: 1869 - 2006
Overview The Swarthmore Alumni Association, founded in 1882 and still active, engages Swarthmore graduates in activities that support current students, alumni, and Swarthmore College. The Swarthmore Alumni Association records, 1882-1990, include meeting minutes, correspondence, publications, brochures, mailings, and directories for a variety of organizations of Swarthmore College Alumni, both in the Philadelphia area and elsewhere.
Dates: 1882 - 1990
Overview Files created by the alumni office and added to over time by Friends Historical Library staff. These files typically contain basic information about the student (occupation, residence, etc.), newspaper clippings and obituaries, correspondence with the alumni office (usually about donations), and sometimes other material. Occassionally includes photographs.
Dates: 1869 - 2018
Overview This series contains Alumni Records Office procedures documents as well as alumni surveys conducted by the College and various committees. Arthur Beardsley’s 1894 survey of alumni was used as the basis for The Alumni Historical Catalogue, 1873-1892. A survey conducted by an alumni group, The Garnet Band, was used gain support for the resumption of Swarthmore-Haverford football and the weekly publication of the Phoenix. After...
Overview Swarthmore College offered its first elective course in Astronomy in the mid 1870's. In 1885, the Board reported a proposal to erect an observatory near the east end of the College property. After Professor Susan Cunningham retired in 1906, Dr. John A. Miller was appointed as Professor of Mathematics and Astronomy. Until 1952, courses were listed under the Department of Mathematics and Astronomy; a separate Department of Astronomy existed until it became the Department of Physics and Astronomy...
Dates: 1899 - 1986
Overview This collection, dating from 1905 to 1975, consists of astronomy images taken or collected by Swarthmore College Astronomy Department students and professors. Most of the images are on glassplates, but there are also some paper photographs. Images depict the college, eclipses, constellations, comets, and more.
Dates: 1905 - 1975
Overview This collection contains records of the Swarthmore College Athletic Association (SCAA), a student organization that held various administrative responsibilities relating to men's athletics. It was founded in 1877 and dissolved ca. 1939. The collection also contains materials concerning the Athletic Advisory Committee, Athletic Committee, and Athletic Advisory Board, organizations that facilitated cooperation on athletic issues between the SCAA and alumni and faculty.
Overview This collection consists of audio and audiovisual materials in various formats, collected at various times from various sources, about Swarthmore or documenting life at the College.
Dates: 1925 - 2015
Overview Inaugurated October 24, 1931, the Benjamin West Society was dedicated to promoting the arts at Swarthmore College and to promoting the memory of painter Benjamin West (1738-1820) whose traditional birthplace is on the campus of Swarthmore College. The Society organized annual lectures on art and exhibits, and each year sent its members an art print. Its activities were lead by a small group of officers, particularly New York Quaker art dealer, Frederic Newlin Price, a Swarthmore College...
Overview Contains the records of the Black Cultural Center, founded in 1969 and located on the campus of Swarthmore College. The BCC serves as a home for a number of organizations on campus including SASS (Swarthmore African-American Student Society), Gospel Choir, and Mjumbe, a literary magazine representing black students. The collection includes constitution, minutes, correspondence, and other records of SASS, the records of the Gospel Choir which was founded in 1971, and recent records of Mjumbe, a...