SFHL/SHS. Swarthmore Historical Society
The Swarthmore Historical Society was founded in 1988, and its collections were deposited in Friends Historical Library in 1996.
Found in 24 Collections and/or Records:
Overview Barbara Bernhardt was raised in the Borough of Swarthmore, Pa., and attended the local public schools from elementary through high school. She saved many of her workbooks and papers. They provide a perspective into the coursework and standards of mid-twentieth century public education in Pennsylvania.
Overview The Chautauqua movement grew out of the American Lyceum and had its beginnings in 1874 at Chautauqua Lake, New York. In the late 1800s, this movement to provide entertainment and education to the American public was extended by circuit Chautauquas which expanded its influence from coast to coast. The Swarthmore Chautauqua was the youngest of the circuits and was founded in 1912 by Paul M. Pearson of Swarthmore College. This small collection of Chautauqua memorabilia contains programs, news...
Overview Friendly Open House was a senior citizens group founded in 1949 in Swarthmore, Pa., under the name "Older Persons Open House." In 1951, the name was changed to Friendly Open House. The group met in the Swarthmore Presbyterian Church with financial support from other local churches and organizations. The purpose was to provide stimulating programs and offer various activities and projects. The final meeting was in May 1996. An women's all-volunteer Sponsor Committee organized the program.
Overview The League of Women Voters was established in 1920 as a nonpartison organization to promote political responsibility through informed and active participation in government. The Swarthmore Branch was founded in 1948 and in 2006 merged with the League of Women Voters, Central Delaware County. The collection contains minutes, financial reports, publications, and miscellaneous papers of the League of Women Voters of Swarthmore, Pa.
Overview C. Howard Lungren (b. 1855) and Rebecca C. Allen were married in Philadelphia in 1880. They moved to Swarthmore in 1901 and lived at 230 Rutgers Avenue. Their daughter Rebecca married Dr. William A. Raiman in 1879. The Raimans lived at 501 Harvard Avenue, and the house remained in the family until 2001. The collection contains Lungren genealogical material and a record book recording the move to Swarthmore and published booklets by C. Howard Lungren. Also miscellaneous material including...
Overview Contains the script, slides, VHS tape, and DVD generated from Dave Narbeth's 1975 presentation on the history of Swarthmore Borough, Pa.
Overview The Swarthmore Historical Society was founded in 1988, and its collections are deposited in Friends Historical Library. The Memorabilia Collection is composed of objects donated by Swarthmore residents, largely athletic and business items/