Skip to main content
Archives & Manuscripts

Association for the Care of Colored Orphans Records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-008
The collection includes: Charter, minutes of the Board, financial records, register of children, and some correspondence.

Dates

  • 1822-1979

Creator

Limitations on Accessing the Collection

Access is through microfilm when available. Collection is open to research.

Copyright and Rights Information

Copyright has not been assigned to Friends Historical Library. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in to the Director. Permission for publication is given on behalf Friends Historical Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by reader.

Extent

9 Linear Feet (15 boxes)

Overview

The Association for the Care of Colored Orphans, also known as “The Shelter,” was founded in Philadelphia by Quaker women in 1822 to care for black orphans, both boys and girls, within a nurturing, home-like environment. In 1915, it relocated to Cheyney, Pa, and became a home for girls. In 1965, its name was changed to “Friends Shelter for Girls,” and its mission evolved to serve as a home for teenaged girls. In 1981 it ceased to function as a group home and was succeeded by Friends Association for the Care and Protection of Children which functioned as an emergency shelter.

Biographical / Historical

The Association for the Care of Colored Orphans, also known as “The Shelter,” was founded in Philadelphia by Quaker women in 1822 to care for black orphans, both boys and girls, within a nurturing, home-like environment. In 1915, it relocated to Cheyney, Pa, adjoining the property of Cheyney Training School for Teachers (now Cheyney University) and became a home for girls, known variously as the Shelter for Colored Orphans and the Shelter for Colored Children. In 1965, its name was changed to “Friends Shelter for Girls,” and its mission evolved to serve as a home for teenaged girls, offering training and psychological support. It continued operation until 1981 when it ceased to function as a group home. It was succeeded by the Friends Association for the Care and Protection of Children which functioned as an emergency shelter.

Arrangement

The collection is organized into 8 series. The series are:
  1. Incorporation and historical papers
  2. Board of Managers minutes
  3. Register of children and related papers
  4. Financial papers
  5. Legal papers
  6. Correspondence
  7. Annual reports
  8. Miscellaneous
For current information on the location of materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.

Physical Location

For current information on the location of materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting, 6/1975, 9/1983

Gift of The Shelter, Acc. 2012.017

Separated Materials

Board of Managers Minutes to 1945 and Register of Children available on microfilm.

Book, Children of the Storm: Black Children and American Child Welfare, by Andrew Billingsley and Jeanne M. Giovannoni, Harcour; 1972 removed and catalogued with book collection.

Processing Information

Material organized and placed in 8 document boxes and 1 package in RG 4 in the Summer 1982. Additional material interfiled from Friends Shelter for Girls (1925-1968) 3 document boxes, March 1983. Additional material including Director's records (about three boxes) interfiled December, 1983. A framed copy of the constitution and an indenture agreement written by the Association with the consent of Estelle Johnson were added to the collection in 2014 (Acc. 2012.017).
Title
An Inventory of the Association for the Care of Colored Orphans and the Friends Shelter for Girls Records, 1822-1979
Author
FHL staff
Date
2000
Description rules
dacs
Sponsor
Encoding made possible by a grant by the Gladys Kriebel Delmas Foundation to the Philadelphia Consortium of Special Collections Libraries

Revision Statements

  • 2016 Summer: This electronic finding aid was updated in Summer 2016 by Abdulrezak Kemal in preparation for importing into ArchivesSpace, to conform to current markup standards and the ArchivesSpace data model.

Find It at the Library

Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library

Contact:
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore Pennsylvania 19081 USA