Skip to main content

Bucks Auxiliary Bible Association of Friends (Bucks County, Pa.) Records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-011

Scope and Contents

This collection contains the minutes, correspondence, reports and financial records of the Bucks Auxiliary Bible Association of Friends, a Quaker Bible distribution society, together with ms. genealogy of the Moon family.

Dates

  • 1830-1845

Creator

Limitations on Accessing the Collection

Collection is open for research.

Limitations on Accessing the Collection

The collection is open for research.

Copyright and Rights Information

Copyright has not been assigned to Friends Historical Library All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in to the Director. Permission for publication is given on behalf Friends Historical Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by reader.

Biographical / Historical

The Bucks Auxiliary Bible Association of Friends, a Quaker Bible distribution society, located in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, was established in 2nd month, 1830, under the Bible Association of Friends in America. Its purpose was to supply “Friends and others with the Holy Scripture, “to encourage” the frequent and serious perusal of them,” and to promote “a more accurate knowledge of their invaluable contents.”

All subscriptions collected by the Auxiliary were turned over to the parent body, which in turn provided the Auxiliary with Bibles or testaments to sell or to distribute in their vicinity. According to the Annual Reports of the Bible Association of Friends in America, the Bucks Auxiliary ceased to operate in 1857.

Extent

0.25 Linear Feet (1 box)

Language

English

Overview

The Bucks Auxiliary Bible Association of Friends, a Quaker Bible distribution society, located in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, was established in 2nd month, 1830, under the Bible Association of Friends in America. Its purpose was to supply “Friends and others with the Holy Scripture, “to encourage “the frequent and serious perusal of them”, and to promote “a more accurate knowledge of their invaluable contents”. All subscriptions collected by the Auxiliary were turned over to the parent body, which in turn provided the Auxiliary with Bibles or testaments to sell or to distribute in their vicinity. According to the Annual Reports of the Bible Association of Friends in America, the Bucks Auxiliary ceased to operate in 1857. This collection contains the minutes, correspondence, reports and financial records of the Bucks Auxiliary Bible Association of Friends, together with a manuscript genealogy of the Moon family, compiled by the donor.

Arrangement

The collection is organized into five series. The series are:
  1. Minutes
  2. Corresponding Committee
  3. Reports
  4. Correspondence
  5. Financial Records
For current information on the location of materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.

Physical Location

For current information on the location of materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Donor: Charles H. Moon

Date: 12/1934
Title
An Inventory of the Bucks Auxiliary Bible Association of Friends (Bucks County, Pa.) Records, 1830-1845
Author
FHL staff
Date
before 1967
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Sponsor
Encoding made possible by a grant by the Gladys Kriebel Delmas Foundation to the Philadelphia Consortium of Special Collections Libraries

Find It at the Library

Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library

Contact:
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore Pennsylvania 19081 USA