Sunnycrest Farm for Negro Boys was founded in 1855 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, as the Home for Destitute Colored Children, a Hicksite Quaker women's charity which provided shelter and education for black children (generally boys) and then placed them with private families. The Home built a new facility in Cheyney, Pa, in 1922, and the name was changed to Sunnycrest Farm for Negro Boys in 1945. The collection contains minutes, financial and legal records, and reports.
Copyright has not been assigned to Friends Historical Library All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in to the Director. Permission for publication is given on behalf Friends Historical Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by reader.
Biographical / Historical
The Home for Destitute Children was founded in 1855 by Mary Jeanes in Philadelphia, PA. It was incorporated on April 11, 1856, as a Hicksite Quaker women's charity which provided shelter and education for black children and then placed them with private families (at one point as apprentices). First located in West Philadelphia, it accepted both sexes until 1919. The Home moved to Cheyney, Pennsylvania, a suburb of Philadelphia, in 1922. The name was changed in 1945 to Sunnycrest Farm for Negro Boys.
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library
[Indicate the cited item or series here], Sunnycrest Farm for Negro Boys (Cheyney, Pa.) Records, RG 4/043, Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College. http://archives.tricolib.brynmawr.edu/repositories/7/resources/1748 Accessed December 05, 2019.