Skip to main content

Martin Academy (Kennett Square, Pa.)

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-049

Scope and Contents

1 volume (3 inches) containing vouchers and financial notes and some miscellaneous papers, including extracts relating to the Academy in the minutes of Kennett Monthly and Preparative Meetings and legal papers.

Dates

  • 1880-1927

Creator

Limitations on Accessing the Collection

Collection is open for research.

Copyright and Rights Information

Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce items in this collection beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder or their heirs/assigns. See http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC-RUU/1.0/.

Biographical / Historical

The Martin Academy was a Hicksite Quaker school established in 1880 by a bequest of Samuel Martin (1802-1880) for the purpose of affording the children of Friends and others a thorough and guarded eucation at a small cost. The building and grounds of the Martin Academy adjoined the grounds of Kennett Square Friends' meeting house, and the school probably was founded about 1875. Upon the death of Samuel Martin in 1880, under the terms of his will, Kennett Monthly Meeting assumed charged of the school. The Board of Trustees was appointed by this meeting on 3rd of 8th mo. 1880 to “have charge of the property and fund donated by the late Samuel Martin to Kennett Monthly Meeting of Friends and to assume such other responsibilities incurred thereby as designated in his Will.” These Trustees made frequent reports at first and then reports were submitted to the Monthly Meeting once a year giving number of students, teachers, financial situation, and other pertinent facts. In 1910 it was decided to close the school and to use the Samuel Martin educational fund “to assist the children of Friends and other worthy people in obtaining an education.”

In the influenza epidemic of 1918, the school building was used as an emergency hospital. The property was sold in 1921, and the proceeds were added to the original fund which was distributed by trustees appointed by the meeting until 1931 when the final statement of the Distributing Committee of the Martin School Fund was received by the meeting.

Extent

0.48 Linear Feet (1 box and 1 folder)

Language

English

Overview

The Martin Academy was a Quaker school established in 1880 by a bequest of Samuel Martin (1802-1880). The collection contains vouchers and financial notes and some miscellaneous papers, including extracts relating to the Academy in the minutes of Kennett Monthly and Preparative Meetings and legal papers.

Physical Location

For current information on the location of materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift of Albert Cook Myers and others, 1954

Related Materials

Mae Myers, Ser. R (Alumni), Record Group 6 (Swarthmore College Archives) Box 12d

Martin Academy, PG2 (FHL Reference file)

Underhill, Mrs. Georgia Cook (Myers). Martin Academy, Kennett Square, Chester County Pennsylvania: History of a School and Its Founder,, 1894 (BX7628.M42U5)
Title
A Description of the Martin Academy (Kennett Square, Pa.) Record Book, 1880-1927
Author
FHL staff
Date
2001
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
English
Sponsor
Encoding made possible by a grant by the Gladys Kriebel Delmas Foundation to the Philadelphia Consortium of Special Collections Libraries

Find It at the Library

Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library

Contact:
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore Pennsylvania 19081 USA