Skip to main content
Archives & Manuscripts

Friends' Publishing Corporation

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-033
This collection contains minutes of the Board of Trustees of Friends' Publishing Corpoaration and correspondence concerning Friends Journal selected in 1968 by the in-coming editor.

Dates

  • 1959-2005

Creator

Language of Materials

The records are entirely in English.

Limitations on Accessing the Collection

Collection is open for research.

Copyright and Rights Information

Copyright has not been assigned to Friends Historical Library All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in to the Director. Permission for publication is given on behalf Friends Historical Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by reader.

Extent

1.5 Linear Feet (1 box and 3 volumes)

Overview

The primary activity of the Friends' Publishing Corporation is Friends Journal, a Quaker periodical. The latter was the successor to The Friend, the serial published by the Orthodox Quakers (1827-1955) and Friends Intelligencer, published by the Hicksite Quakers (1844-1955). It was established as a result of the merger of the two Philadelphia Yearly Meetings, and the first consolidated issue was dated July 2, 1955. Originally published weekly and then bi-weekly, it became a monthly periodical in 1988.

Biographical / Historical

Friends Publishing Corporation was founded in 1955 "for the purpose of promoting religious concerns of the Religious Society of Friends and the education and information of its members and others by means of the written or spoken word, including the publication of a magazine or magazines, pamphlets or other writings." Friends Journal, the major publication of Friends Publishing Corporation, is the consolidation of two previous Quaker publications and corporations, Friends Intelligencer (Hicksite) and The Friend (Orthodox), at the time of reunification of the two yearly meetings in Philadelphia. Friends Intelligencer was published from 1844 to 1955. The Friends Intelligencer Corporation was founded in 1933 "to publish a magazine, pamphlets and other writings for the purpose of promoting religious concerns of the Religious Society of Friends and the education and information of its members and others." The Friend was published from 1827 to 1955. The corporation, named "Contributors to the Friend, Inc.," was founded in 1874 "to carry on the publication of the religious and literary journal known as The Friend and to publish such other material pertaining to the general field of the interests, practices, and beliefs of the Religious Society of Friends as may from time to time be determined by the Board of Managers" (http://www.friendsjournal.org/about/miss_hist/index.html). The first consolidated issue was dated July 2, 1955. Originally published weekly and then bi-weekly, it became a monthly periodical in 1988.

Friends Journal Associates are those persons who subscribed to Friends Journal and gave additional contributions to the Corporation for the support and promotion of its activities.

Arrangement

The collection is organized into 3 series. The series are:
  1. Minutes
  2. Correspondence
  3. Miscellaneous
For current information on the location of materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.

Physical Location

For current information on the location of materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Correspondence gift of Friends Journal through Edwin B. Bronner (1971) and Lois O'Neal (1975)

Minutes of the Board of Trustees of Friends Publishing Corporation gift of Mary Ellen Chijioke (2007) for the Board of Trustees, 2007-003.
Immediate Source of Acquisition Original correspondence was given to FHL in 1971 and 1975, and the collection was initially described as the records of Friends Journal (Philadelphia, Pa.), 1959-1968. In 2007, Mary Ellen Chijioke gave copies and photocopies of the minutes of the Board of Trustees Friends Publishing Corporation that she used in her research for a talk she gave at Friends General Conference in 2005. These were combined with the former collection, and the whole was re-catalogued as the records of Friends Publishing Corporation.

Creator

Title
An Inventory of the Friends' Publishing Corporation Records, 1959-2005
Author
FHL staff
Date
2007
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
English
Sponsor
Encoding made possible by a grant by the Gladys Kriebel Delmas Foundation to the Philadelphia Consortium of Special Collections Libraries

Revision Statements

  • 2016: This electronic finding aid was updated in Summer 2016 by Abdulrezak Kemal in preparation for importing into ArchivesSpace, to conform to current markup standards and the ArchivesSpace data model.

Find It at the Library

Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library

Contact:
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore Pennsylvania 19081 USA