Skip to main content
Archives & Manuscripts

Ladies Benevolent Association of New Brighton (Pa.)

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-072
Contains the records of the Ladies Benevolent Association of New Brighton, including minutes, financial records, correspondence, and other related papers, including minutes of the District Nurse Association of New Brighton, 1907-1912.

Dates

  • 1846-1977

Creator

Limitations on Accessing the Collection

Collection is open for research.

Copyright and Rights Information

Copyright has not been assigned to Friends Historical Library All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in to the Director. Permission for publication is given on behalf Friends Historical Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by reader.

Extent

1.25 Linear Feet (3 boxes)

Overview

The Ladies Benevolent Association of New Brighton was a largely Quaker women's society, founded in 1846 in New Brighton, Pennsylvania, to provide clothing and other necessities to destitute poor. In 1907, the Ladies Benevolent Association cooperated with groups to engage a visiting nurse; this organization, known as the District Nurse Association was disbanded five years later. After World War II, the need for sewing declined, and the Ladies Benevolent Association then turned its support to the Beaver Valley General Hospital. The group was dissolved in 1977. Contains the records of the Ladies Benevolent Association of New Brighton, including minutes, financial records, correspondence, and other related papers, including minutes of the District Nurse Association of New Brighton, Pa., 1907-1912.

Biographical / Historical

In 1846, a group of women, most of whom were Quakers, founded the Female Benevolent Association of New Brighton to “procure clothing and other articles of convenience for the destitute poor.” The small group (whose name was changed to the Ladies Benevolent Association before 1856) met monthly (except during July and August) in each others homes to sew clothing for the needy in the village. They formed a Visiting Committee to investigate cases and to determine the level of support. Financial records indicate that the Ladies Benevolent Association also supplied coal, milk, shoes, and other articles which were purchased through the contributions of the members.

As time passed, their activities expanded to include keeping a room at the hospital and aiding other local charities. In 1907, the Ladies Benevolent Association cooperated with other organizations to engage a visiting nurse; this organization, known as the District Nurse Association (see Series 5), was disbanded five years later due to the difficulties of obtaining continuing funding. After World War II, the need for sewing declined, and the Ladies Benevolent Association began to meet quarterly and then semiannually to support the Beaver Valley General Hospital. The group was dissolved in 1977.

Arrangement

The collection is divided into six series:
  1. Historical background
  2. Minutes, 1846 and 1856-1977
  3. Financial and other administrative records
  4. Correspondence, 1896-1977
  5. District Nurse Association of New Brighton, Pa., 1907-1912
  6. Miscellaneous

Physical Location

For current information on the location of materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Donor: Mrs. Roland Kenah, 1987

Separated Materials

A leather purse from the collection was catalogued as Relic #372, then removed and transferred to Cabinet 6.
Title
An Inventory of the Ladies Benevolent Association of New Brighton (Pa.) Records, 1846-1977
Author
FHL staff
Date
1987
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
English
Sponsor
Encoding made possible by a grant by the Gladys Kriebel Delmas Foundation to the Philadelphia Consortium of Special Collections Libraries

Revision Statements

  • 2016: This electronic finding aid was updated in Summer 2016 by Abdulrezak Kemal in preparation for importing into ArchivesSpace, to conform to current markup standards and the ArchivesSpace data model.

Find It at the Library

Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library

Contact:
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore Pennsylvania 19081 USA