The records contain material preserved in a metal box labeled "The Novelty." It includes minutes, 1887-1938 and scattered, 1954, 1982-1984; by-laws and membership lists and attendance, writings by members, histories, and some miscellaneous material.
Copyright has not been assigned to Friends Historical Library. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in to the Director. Permission for publication is given on behalf Friends Historical Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by reader.
Biographical / Historical
The Novelty was a women's social club founded in Lansdowne, Pennsylvania, in 1887. Most of its first members were Quakers and members of Lansdowne Monthly Meeting. The group was established for the promotion of sociability and good house and home-keeping, according to its by-laws. It remained a small group (limited to thirty until 1929 and subsequently, forty members) and met in members' homes.
Besides fellowship, the meetings for many years consisted of a time for reading and questions, usually on household matters. Although primarily social in mission, the group did address concerns in the community such as unwrapped bread and lack of trash cans, and in the twentieth century, it established a civic committee.
The Novelty's members were active in the establishment of other civic groups such as the Lansdowne Library, Needlework Guild, and the Associated Charities Association. The Club encouraged the founding in 1904 of a larger women's group, the Twentieth Century Club of Lansdowne, a federated women's club; the first president of Novelty, Lydia T. Hallowell, also served as the first president of the Twentieth Century Club.
By 1992, with changing times, membership had dwindled, and almost half of the active members were residing in homes for the aged in the Philadelphia area.
The Novelty was a women's social club founded in Lansdowne, Pennsylvania, in 1887. Most of its first members were Quakers and members of Lansdowne Monthly Meeting. The group was established "for the promotion of sociability and good house and home-keeping," according to its by-laws. The records include minutes, 1887-1938 and scattered, 1954, 1982-1984; by-laws and membership lists and attendance, writings by members, histories, and some miscellaneous material.
For current information on the location of materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donor: Quaker Collection, Haverford College
Accession number: 2003-014
The Neighbors Club, the men's social club in Lansdowne, is still active in 2003.
The collection, received in a metal box, was transferred from the Quaker Collection Haverford College. Minutes post 1928 are largely missing. Most of the early members belonged to Lansdowne Monthly Meeting, and the Curator at Haverford thought the collection more appropriately deposited at Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College which holds the records for Lansdowne Monthly Meeting.
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library
[Indicate the cited item or series here], Novelty (Club : Lansdowne, Pa.) Records, RG4/107, Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College http://archives.tricolib.brynmawr.edu/repositories/7/resources/1885 Accessed November 17, 2019.