Skip to main content
Archives & Manuscripts

Halliday Jackson Manuscripts

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG5-182
Contains documents relating to the work of Halliday Jackson (1771-1835), Pennsylvania Quaker minister to the Indians. Includes correspondence, journals, copy work in prose and poetry, a history of the Separation of 1828, papers on Indian affairs. One journal concerns a visit to the Quakers in Ohio in 1816. Correspondents include Benjamin Ferris, Edward Garrigues, David Seaman, Micajah Collins, George Dillwyn, William Poole, Jesse Kersey, Halliday Jackson, John Jackson. The correspondence deals extensively with the Separation within the Society of Friends.

Dates

  • 1755-1833

Creator

Limitations on Accessing the Collection

Collection is open for research.

Copyright and Rights Information

Copyright has not been assigned to the Repositories. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to the individual Meeting or its successor. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Repositories as the holder(s) of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by reader.

Extent

0.42 Linear Feet (1 box)

Overview

Halliday Jackson (1771-1835) was a Quaker minister from New Garden and Darby, Pa.. From 1798 to 1800 he joined the Quaker mission to the Seneca Indians organized by the Indian Committee of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting. Shortly after his return from the mission to the Seneca, Halliday Jackson married Jane Hough and moved to Darby, Pa. Following Jane's death in 1830, Halliday Jackson remarried in 1833 to Ann P. Paschall (1792-1874), also a Quaker minister. These records contain documents relating to the work of Halliday Jackson (1771-1835), Pennsylvania Quaker minister to the Indians. Includes correspondence, journals, copy work in prose and poetry, a history of the Separation of 1828, papers on Indian affairs. One journal concerns a visit to the Quakers in Ohio in 1816. Correspondents include Benjamin Ferris, Edward Garrigues, David Seaman, Micajah Collins, George Dillwyn, William Poole, Jesse Kersey, Halliday Jackson, John Jackson. The correspondence deals extensively with the Separation within the Society of Friends.

Biographical / Historical

Halliday Jackson (1771-1835) was born 8 mo, 31, 1771, the son of Isaac and Phebe (Halliday) Jackson of New Garden Monthly Meeting, Pa.. He married Jane Hough (1777-1830) in 1801, and they had twelve children. In 1803, the family transferred to Darby Monthly Meeting,, Delaware Co., Pa. After Jane’s death, he married Ann P. Paschall (1792-1874), who was the widow of Thomas Paschall of Darby, Pa., and a Quaker minister.

From 1798 to 1800 he joined the Quaker mission to the Seneca Indians organized by the Indian Committee of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting. The Quaker settlement was located at Geneshunguhta on the Allegheny River in New York State, just north of the Pennsylvania border. In 1806 Jackson visited the mission, which had been relocated to Tunesassa, with John Philips and Isaac Bonsall. In 1816 and 1838, he made religious visits to Ohio. In the Separation of 1828, Jackson affiliated with the Hicksite in the Society of Friends.

Two of Halliday and Jane’s children were ministers. Mary Jackson (1803-1874) married first Oliver W. Schofield and second John Child. Their son, John Jackson (1809-1855) was approved minister and with his wife, Rachel T. Jackson, established the Sharon Female Boarding School in Darby, Pa. John Jackson was an active member of the Delaware County Institute for Science and traveled widely in the ministry.

Physical Location

For current information on the location of materials, please consult the Libraries' online catalog: http://tripod.brynmawr.edu

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Deposit. Donor: S. T. and I. T. Child, 1876; Donor: Martha and Eliza H. Schofield, 1910, 1912; Donor: Herbert W. Jackson and Elizabeth Jackson Shaffner, 1950; Purchase: Letterbook, 1969; Donor: Ruth Porter Powers, 1979; Donor: Warner Jackson; Donor: Mr. and Mrs. Fisher A. Buell, Jr.

Letterbooks purchased from dealer, 1969. Earlier items transferred from Jackson Small Collection were gifts of Martha and Eliza Schofield, Herbert W. Jackson, and Elizabeth Jackson Shaffner. Miscellaneous Manuscripts added to the collection were from a number of sources, mostly descendents of Halliday Jackson. The journal of a visit to Friends in Ohio, 1816, was one of the first manuscript donations in 1876 to Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College, then known as the Anson Lapham Repository.

Related Materials

The journal, Some Account of a Visit... to the Friends at Tunesassa & Indians liveing on Allegany and Ca[tta]raugus Rivers (folder 4) was edited by George S. Snyderman and published as, "Halliday Jackson's Journal of a Visit to the Indians of New York (1806)" in Proceedings of The American Philosophical Society, Volume 101, Number 6 (December 1957).

The Journal of John Philips (1806) also describes the same visit. The Philips Journal is at the Quaker Collection, Haverford College Library, and it was edited by Merle H. Deardorff and George S. Snyderman and published as "A Nineteenth-Century Journal of a Visit to the Indians of New York" in Proceedings of The American Philosophical Society, Volume 100, Number 6 (December 1956).

See also RG 2/Ph Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends. Indian Committee.

See also Burr Manuscripts and Southard Manuscripts for material documenting the Hicksite position in the Separation of 1827/28.

Halliday Jackson published Civilization of the Indian Natives (Philadelphia: Marcus T.C. Gould, 1830), a history of Quaker work with the Indians from 1795, stressing the work of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting with the Senecas.

Chester County Historical Society, Chester County, Pa., has a collection of Halliday Jackson manuscripts. An inventory is included in RG 5/182 Administrative folder.

"Halliday Jackson's Journal to the Seneca Indians, 1798-1800," edited by Anthony F. C. Wallace, reprinted from Pennsylvania History, Vol. XIX (April and July, 1952). This Journal is located at the Chester County Historical Society.

Processing Information

Formerly catalogued as Jackson (Halliday) Manuscripts. The manuscript collection was created from a number of sources, probably circa 1969 when the letterbooks were purchased. It combined items originally catalogued as Miscellaneous Manuscripts with manuscripts in a Jackson Small Collection and the letterbooks.

The “Letterbooks” were received as manuscript letters sewn together as four separate volumes and were fully individually catalogued in the old card catalogue. The Notebook of poems and prose was catalogued briefly under the old system.

In 1987, the collection was transferred to Record Group 5 and renamed the Halliday Jackson Manuscripts. A new finding aid was produced in 2002.

Creator

Title
Halliday Jackson Manuscripts, 1755-1833
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
English

Revision Statements

  • 2016: This electronic finding aid was updated in Summer 2016 by Abdulrezak Kemal in preparation for importing into ArchivesSpace, to conform to current markup standards and the ArchivesSpace data model.

Find It at the Library

Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library

Contact:
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore Pennsylvania 19081 USA