Donald Carre Turner Genealogical Research Papers
Scope and Contents
These have been retained as arranged by Turner. Series 2 and 3 consist of personal papers and memorabilia of Donald C. Turner, his wife, and earlier generations of the Turner and Carre families. Photographs received with the collection have been processed and housed separately as PA collection.
- Donald Carre Turner (1909-1989) (Person)
Limitations on Accessing the Collection
Copyright and Rights Information
Biographical / Historical
- Donald Carré Turner (1909-1989) was a construction executive, a genealogist, and an alumnus of Swarthmore College.
- 1926-1931Donald Carré Turner was born in Jenkintown and raised in Swarthmore, Pennsylvania. He joined a dance band, the Highlanders, in 1926 and played banjo and rhythm guitar. After his graduation from Swarthmore with a degree in Economics in 1931, he toured with the band and appeared at the Skytop Resort in the Poconos.
- 1930s-1970s, 1963-1971Donald C. Turner was also an executive with the Turner Construction Company, founded by his uncle, Henry C. Turner, in 1920. The former served as the contract manager for the Philadelphia territory, and worked on a number of buildings in Philadelphia and Atlantic City. He was also involved in a number of professional societies and served as a member of the Upper Providence School District Authority from 1963-1971
- 1972-1989After his retirement in 1972, Turner devoted much of his time to genealogy. The Turner family was from the Eastern Shore of Maryland and came to this country from England in the seventeenth century. Earlier generations were members of Third Haven and Cecil Monthly Meetings. Lineal surnames include Carré, Birch, Caulk, Betterton, Wilson, Jefferey, Homestead, Course, Sinclair, Williams, and many others.
4.75 Linear Feet (10 boxes)
- Genealogical Notebooks and files.
- Donald C. and Agnes Reed Turner Papers
- Turner & Carré Family Papers.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donor: Thomas R. Turner, 1997; Accession number: 97-022, 97-036
This collection was the gift of Thomas R. Turner and came to the Library in two sections, the genealogical files (Series 1) which were delivered by Howard S. Turner on 5/8/97, and the family papers and memorabilia (Series 2-3) delivered by Thomas R. Turner on 7/14/97.
- Donald Carre Turner Genealogical Research Papers, 1856-1990
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore Pennsylvania 19081 USA