Charles E. (Charles Eugene) Fager Papers
Scope and Contents
Limitations on Accessing the Collection
Copyright and Rights Information
Biographical / Historical
- BIOGRAPHICAL AND HISTORICAL
- 1942 Charles E.(Charles Eugene) Fager is a Quaker writer, publisher, educator, and activist. Born in 1942, "Chuck" Fager graduated from Colorado State University and attended Harvard Divinity School.
- 1966-1969After working for the Southern Christian Leadership Conference in Selma, Alabama, he perfomred Vietnam CO alternative service at Friends World College in 1966.He left FWC the following year, devoting his time to writing and freelance work. In 1969, he joined the Society of Friends, and is presently a member of State College Monthly Meeting.
- mid 1980s-1994In the mid 1980s Fager started Kimo Press, a small publishing operation and began to edit "A Friendly Letter," an independent Quaker periodical. "A Friendly Letter" was discontinued in early 1993, after 134 issues. In 1994, Chuck Fager joined the staff of Pendle Hill, a Quaker center for study and contemplation near Philadelphia, as coordinator of the Pendle Hill Issues Program.. He presently teaches at Penn State University.
15 Linear Feet (30 boxes)
- A Friendly Letter (Drafts of Issues, Letters to the Editor and Misc. Correspondence, Subscriptions and Financial)
- Topical Folders
- Kimo Press/Quaker catalogs
- Fleecing the Faithful
- The Friends United Meeting/"Realignment" controversy, 1990-1993
- AFSC: Quaker concerns and critiques, 1961-1993
- Friends Bible Conference, 1989
- CPS Oral history project
- Other Quaker organizations
- Miscellaneous correspondence and personal files
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The collection was given by Charles Fager.
- "A NEW WAY TO BECOME A FATHER" Harper's Weekly. New York, NY. 1/5 and 1/12, 1976. pp.14-15.
- "A Visit to the Patricia C. Hearst Museum" win. Brooklyn, NY. April 7, 1977. pp. 12-14.
- "Alternative politicians at a crossroads" The Straight Creek Journal. Denver, CO. July 14, 1977. p. 1.
- "Cross-Country walk for peace, disarmament begins in California" The National Catholic Reporter. Kansas City, MO. January 30, 1976. p.2.
- "Feminist Insights" Harvard Divinity Bulletin. Cambridge, MA. Volume 21, Number 4, 1992. p. 20.
- "Hatch vs. Helms: Right to Life Goes Down to the Count" 1981. Washington, D.C.December 24-January 14, 1981. p. 8.
- "Hillspeak" 1981. Washington, D.C. April 17-April 30, 1981. p. 5.
- "Making Book on 1988" City Paper. Washington, D.C. October 30, 1987. pp.30-32.
- "McCloskey vs. Harris: The battle of the anitwar vets" The San Francisco Bay Guardian. San Francisco, CA.September 24-October 1, 1976. pp. 9-12, 26.
- "On the Case" City Paper. Washington, D.C. Volume 2, Number 12. p. 4.
- "OPENING UP THE ESTABLISHMENT" The San Francisco Bay Guardian. San Francisco, CA. August 13-August 20, 1976. pp. 8-10.
- "Patty on the Stand" The San Francisco Bay Guardian. San Francisco, CA. February 13-February 20, 1976. pp. 4-5.
- "Pro-family politics: right debates left" In These Times. Chicago, IL. August 11-24, 1982.p. 2.
- "Quaking over gay rights" The Straight Creek Journal. Denver, CO. July 14, 1977. pp. 2-3, 5.
- "ralph borsodi: the flawed prophet of decentralism" Green Revolution. York, PA. December, 1977. p.19-20.
- "Reagan, Romanism, and Rebellion" The Other Side. Philadelphia, PA. January, 1983. pp. 22-23.
- "Reclaiming a Resource: The Record of the Friends Bible Conference Interview With Chuck Fager" Evangelical Friend. Newberg, OR. March/April 1992.p. 13-15.
- "REPORT FROM THE HARRIS TRIAL" The San Francisco Bay Guardian. San Francisco, CA.July 16- July 23, 1976. p. 8.
- "Saving the Sea Treaty: Top Peace Prority?" The Christian Century. Chicago, IL. April 15, 1981. pp. 405-406.
- " `Sixtomania' strikes again!" The Other Side.Philadelphia, PA. January, 1979. pp. 58-59.
- "Sixto-mania: The Disease of the Decade" The Reader. Chicago, IL. April 28, 1978. p. 11.
- "Spring Books Poll" win. Brooklyn, NY. June 2, 1977. pp. 11-12.
- "The Blasts at Born Again" Sojourners. Washington, D.C. December 1978. p.29.
- "The genesis of Small is Beautiful" The San Francisco Bay Guardian. San Francisco, CA.September 24-October 1, 1976. March 3-March 11, 1977. pp.4-5.
- "The Humor and Eloquence of Chesterton" The Christian Century. Chicago, IL. May 21, 1980. pp. 583-584.
- "The wild horses are coming (back)" The Boston Globe. Boston, MA.November 21, 1976. p. A1.
- "War More or Less". City Paper. Washington, D.C. Volume 2, Number 3. pp. 1, 6.
- "What did Congress get for Christmas?" The Boston Phoenix. Boston, MA. January 23, 1979. p. 8.
- "What we can do to stop the new boom in prisons" The Other Side. Philadelphia, PA. February, 1979. pp. 32-41.
- "Which Jesus is your Christmas all about?" The San Francisco Bay Guardian. San Francisco, CA.December 24, 1976-January 7, 1977. pp. 6-7.
- "Who is Dr. Bronner Anyway?" New Age. Brookline Village, MA. September, 1976. pp. 43-47.
- "WIN's Loss" City Paper. Washington, D.C. December 23-29, 1983. p. 1.
- American Literature
- Bible -- Children's use -- Congresses
- Bible -- Study and teaching -- Congresses
- Bible -- Theology -- Congresses
- Church controversies -- Society of Friends
- Conscientious objectors -- United States
- Friendly Letter
- Oral histories
- Quaker authors
- Quaker conscientious objectors
- Society of Friends -- Congresses
- Fager, Charles (Charles Eugene), -1942 (Person)
- Friends United Meeting (Contributor, Organization)
- Civilian Public Service (Contributor, Organization)
- Pendle Hill (School: Wallingford, Pa.) (Contributor, Organization)
- Friends Bible Conference (1989 : Philadelphia, Pa.) (Contributor, Organization)
- Kimo Press (Contributor, Organization)
- Charles E. Fager Papers, 1976-2000
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore Pennsylvania 19081 USA