Dean Freiday Papers
Scope and Contents
- Dean Freiday (b. 1915-) (Person)
Limitations on Accessing the Collection
Copyright and Rights Information
Biographical / Historical
- BIOGRAPHICAL OUTLINE OF DEAN FREIDAY
- 1915Dean Freiday (b. 1915), is a Quaker writer and theologian, with special interests in discovering and discussing the commonalities between the Society of Friends and other Christian religions, particularly the Roman Catholic Church.
- 1966-1968 He was chairman of the Christian Unity Committee from 1966-68, the Forum on Baptism, Eucharist, Mutually recognized Ministry (BEM), the Historic Peace Churches/Fellowship of Reconciliation (FPC/FOR), and the Christian and Interfaith Relations Committee (CIRC).
- 1979-1989He was also the editor of Quaker Religious Thought (1979-1989), an active member of the Commission on Faith and Order (F 0), the World Council of Churches (WCC), and the National Council of Churches of Christ (NCCC), Friends General Conference (FGC). He is a member of the Manasquan Monthly Meeting, in Manasquan, New Jersey, and is married to Esther Selke.
6.5 Linear Feet (13 boxes)
- Writings (includes manuscripts and related correspondence)
- National Council of Churches of Christ (NCCC) and Commission on Faith and Order (F & O)
- World Council of Churches (WCC)
- Christian and Interfaith Relations Committee (CIRC)
- Friends General Conference (FGC)
- Christian World Communion (formerly World Confessional Families)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The collection was given by Dean Freiday.
- "Catholics and the New American Bible." Friends Journal (1 Feb. 1972).
- "God, Man, and Contemporary Society," with Robert Schultz. Friends Journal (15 Nov. 1965).
- "How Near Is God to Man?" Friends Journal (1/15 June 1971).
- "Improving the Quality of Life." Quaker Life, Friends Journal (Aug.1975).
- "Not a Steeple, a Steeple, a Steeple." Friends' Quarterly (Oct.1979).
- "On Being Human." Friends Journal (15 July 1966).
- "Quakers, Ecumenism, and the WCC." The Ecumenical Review (Oct. 1994).
- "Science and Homiletics." Anglican Theological Review.
- "Self-Transcendence with Genuine Concern," with William L. Nute, Jr. Friends Journal (15 Jan. 1970).
- "Spirituality: Some Random Reflections." Friends' Quarterly (Jan. 1973).
- "The History and the Mystery."
- "The Spirituality of George Fox." Friends' Quarterly (Jan. 1979).
- Barclay's Apology in modern English. Elberon, N.J.: 1967.
- Nothing without Christ: some current religious problems in the light of seventeenth century thought and experience. Newberg, OR: Barclay Press, c1984.
- The Day of the Lord: eschatology in Quaker perspective(ed. with Fritz Eichenberg). Newberg, OR: Barclay Press, by the Faith and Life Movement, 1981.
- "Defrosting in Richmond." Friends Journal (1 Sept. 1969).
- "`Solo asi, asi' -- A Somewhat Rambling Ecumenical Report." Friends World News (Aug. 1976).
- "Quakers and Other World Confessional Families." Friends Journal (15 Mar. 1970).
- "U.S. Conference of World Council." Friends Journal (15 June 1966).
- "Christians Reach Out to Each Other." Friends World News (Spring 1973).
- Dean Freiday (b. 1915-) (Person)
- National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America (Contributor, Organization)
- Friends General Conference (Contributor, Organization)
- Roberts, Arthur O (Contributor, Person)
- Steere, Douglas V. (Douglas Van), 1901-1995 (Contributor, Person)
- Miller, Larry (Contributor, Person)
- World Council of Churches. Commission on Faith and Order (Contributor, Organization)
- Dean Freiday Papers, 1956-1999
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore Pennsylvania 19081 USA