Biographical / Historical
William Macy Stanton, Jr., a birthright Quaker, was born in Philadelphia, Pa., in 1919. He was educated at Lansdowne Friends School, Westtown School, and the University of Wisconsin. His parents were noted architect William Macy Stanton (1888-1969) and Edith Cope Stanton.
After graduation, he worked for Grinnell Company until he was drafted. As a Quaker and conscientious objector, he performed alternate service during World War ii. He served in the Civilian Public Service (CPS), including participation in the controlled starvation experiment conducted at the University of Minnesota in 1945. After the war, he served in the relief and reconstruction administered by the American Friends Service Committee in France. While serving in the post war relief effort, in December 1947 he married Lois Virginia Plumb, the daughter of John C. and Gail Plumb. Lois Stanton was a graduate of Wilson College, Pa., studied post-graduate at Middleburg College, and earned an. M.A. from Haverford College. She served as the director of Quaker transport in Paris for the AFSC and then transferred to Darmstadt, Germany, where she and her new husband worked at the Neighborhood Center established by the AFSC.
After returning to the United States, William Stanton worked at Earlham College in the buildings and grounds department, then as business manager of Park College, Parkville, Mo. In 1957, he became superintendent of buildings and grounds at Swarthmore College. From 1958 to 1984, he was director of physical plant at the College.
Active in Quaker concerns, William Stanton served as chairman of the board of Friends Center, Philadelphia, Pa., which had been established in 1975 as a combined effort of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting, AFSC, and Central Philadelphia Monthly Meeting. He also served on the board of Pendle Hill and in other civic and philanthropic capacities. The Stantons were members of Middletown Monthly Meeting, Lima, Pa. William Stanton died in 1995.