Skip to main content
Archives & Manuscripts

Charles De Garmo Papers

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG6-D04
This collection contains the official correspondence and other related documents, of Charles DeGarmo, fourth President of Swarthmore College (1891-1898).

This collection consists of five boxes of materials including correspondence, letters of admission, and requests for literature. There is a folder level inventory of contents.

Dates

  • 1891-1898

Creator

Limitations on Accessing the Collection

Permission to this material is restricted and requires the permission of the President of Swarthmore College or the Chairman of the Board of Managers of the College. Contact the repository for details.

Copyright and Rights Information

Copyright has not been assigned to Friends Historical Library. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in to the Director. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Friends Historical Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by reader.

Extent

2.5 Linear Feet (5 boxes)

Overview

This collection contains the official correspondence and other related documents, of Charles De Garmo, fourth President of Swarthmore College (1891-1898).

Biographical / Historical

Charles De Garmo was born on January 7, 1849, in Wisconsin. He graduated from Illinois State Normal University in 1873, and after teaching in the Illinois public schools, he went on to receive his doctorate from the University of Halle in Germany in 1886. In 1875 he married Ida Witbeck, and they had three children. He became a professor of modern Languages and reading at his alma mater until he was elected President of Swarthmore College in September 1891. While not a Quaker, De Garmo's ancestors were Friends, and his views and philosophy were in keeping with the Society of Friends.

De Garmo's goal as President was to lift Swarthmore students out of their introversion and make them aware of the roaring tide of political and economic events transpiring in the outside world, or at least in their own country, according to Professor William I. Hull's unpublished history of Swarthmore College. To achieve his goal, he established a Department of Economics and Social Science. He was dedicated to quality education.

Under his presidency a great deal of progress was made despite an economic depression which began in 1893 and the frugality of the Board. A gym was built for women; the first two fellowships, the Joshua Lippincott Fellowship and the Lucretia Mott Fellowship, were established and awarded for 1893-94; and after a fire caused partial destruction of Science Hall, it was restored and enlarged in 1894-95. A chapter of Phi Beta Kappa was granted in 1896. In student life, interest increased in athletics and fraternities.

De Garmo wanted the Board to pay more attention to what other colleges in the nation were doing in terms of requirements and the quality and quantity of teaching staff and equipment. He also wanted more power as President, but the Board was not willing to relinquish its authority. Discouraged by the lack of support in his educational goals, De Garmo decided to return to teaching. He resigned in 1898 and became a Professor of Education at Cornell University. He retired in 1914 and died on May 14, 1934, in Florida

Physical Location

For current information on the location of materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Donor: College President's Office

Processing Information

This collection was originally processed in the 1970s at which time materials were sorted, put into folders, and inventoried. In 1998/99, as part of the reorganization of the Swarthmore College Archives, the collection was reprocessed. Two folders were transferred from the RG6/D02, Edward H. Magill Papers (Correspondence with monthly meetings concerning potential college students, 1892, and Correspondence concerning a prospective student, 1895) and added to this collection.

Items were placed into acid-free folders and identification clarified. A small number of items were transferred to other locations in College Archives. After reboxing and labeling, a finding aid was produced, which was amended in 2001.
Title
Finding Aid for Charles De Garmo Papers, 1891-1898
Author
FHL staff
Date
2007
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
English

Revision Statements

  • 2016: This electronic finding aid was updated in Summer 2016 by Abdulrezak Kemal in preparation for importing into ArchivesSpace, to conform to current markup standards and the ArchivesSpace data model.

Find It at the Library

Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library

Contact:
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore Pennsylvania 19081 USA