Friends for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer Concerns
Scope and Contents
Limitations on Accessing the Collection
Copyright and Rights Information
Biographical / Historical
FLGBTQC holds twice yearly conferences. The Midwinter Gathering is held over the long weekend surrounding U.S. President's Day in February, and the Summer Gathering is held with the larger Friends General Conference Gathering the first week in July.
The group was started by Ron Mattson, ministering secretary at Minneapolis Meeting, who gathered with other Friends including Larry S. Butler, Gerald Turnbull, Geoffrey Kaiser, D.W. Kaiser, and D.W. Beedle to create a "Committee of Concern." Ron Mattson published the newsletter from 1973-1975. Arthur Gross took over as editor in 1975, and the group was renamed the Friends Committee for Gay Concerns. Bruce Grimes assumed the editorship after 1976. In 1978, the name of the group was broadened to include lesbians, Friends for Lesbian and Gay Concerns (FLGC). In 2003, it formally acknowledged broader inclusion with the name change to Friends for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer Concerns (FLGBTQC). In 1989, the group published Each of Us Inevitable, a compilation of keynote addresses given at FLGC Gatherings, 1977-1989, edited by Robert Leuze. In 2003, an expanded version was published in a book form.
7 Linear Feet (14 boxes)
- Clerks' correspondence and Ministry and Counsel
- Financial records
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Accruals: 1990, 1999
Transferred from Haverford College (L.S. Butler Papers, E5.14.1) Bruce Grimes' donation sorted by topic, order maintained; L.S. Butler Papers were largely unsorted and included approximately 1.5 linear ft. of reference materials on homosexuals and homosexual issues. Most of this material was not directly related to the Committee or to Friends in general and was not retained.
Donor: FLGBTQC. Accession number: 2015.002
- Committee of Concern (Ron Mattson, Secretary). [Newsletter], 1973-1975.
- Subcommitte (sp) on Lesbian and Gay Concerns/Family Relations Committee of Philadelphia Yearly
- Meeting. NEWSLETTER, 1988-90 (incomplete).
- Lone Star [Austin, Texas] FLGC. NEWSLETTER, 1989-1990.
- Bay Area Quaker Lesbian Meeting. Newsletter, 1985-1987. Includes mailings of Quaker Lesbian Conference.
- Friends Meeting of Washington, D.C. Friends for Lesbian and Gay Concerns. Newsletter, 1985-87, 1988.
- Friends for Lesbian and Gay Concerns/New York. Newsletter, 1981-1990.
- Friends for Lesbian and Gay Concerns (Baltimore, Md.). Newsletter, 1984-1989.
- Twin Cities Friends for Lesbian and Gay Concerns. F.L.G.C. Newsletter, 1985-1990.
- Dallas Friends Meeting AIDS Committee. Networking Quaker Concerns on AIDS, 1987.
- BX7613.P6735 1978 Kirkman, Steven & David Murphy. The Poetic Friends Nosegay: An Anthology of Quaker Poetry, ca. 1978
- BX7748.S47 K7 1984 Kristensen, Eric. Voices from Exile: Lesbians and Gay Men in the Church, 1984.
- RC607.A26 W52 1990 Wick, Gary Dean. Aids: A Healing Harvest, .
- BX7748.S47 R3 1988 Quaker Home Service. Study Pack/The Recognition of Same-Sex Relationships in the Religious Society of Friends, 1988.
- + BX7748.S47 D26 1987 Ben Pink Dandelion. The History of F.H.F., 1973-87, .
- OE Pictures Oversize Photograph: Friends for Lesbian and Gay Concerns Worship Annual
- Gathering of Friends (FGC)
- Computer discs Keith Harpending discs with Midwinter Keynotes 1990 Muriel Bishops Steve Finn
- Computer disc, "Quakers for over 350 Years," Australian Friends
- Friends for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer Concerns (Organization)
- Grimes, Bruce G. (Contributor, Person)
- Gross, Arthur (Contributor, Person)
- Leuze, Robert (Contributor, Person)
- An Inventory of the Friends for Friends for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer Concerns Records, 1973-2009
- FHL staff
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore Pennsylvania 19081 USA