Skip to main content
Archives & Manuscripts

Swarthmore College property records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG6-F
The Swarthmore College property records, 1687-1993, include real estate and building appraisals; deeds, mortgages, and leases; blueprints, maps, and plans; reports by Swarthmore committees and external consultants; administrative documents such as budgets and correspondence; and other records pertaining to college buildings and grounds, construction and maintenance, and utilities and resource use. There is a large amount of material pertaining to the College's opposition to the "Blue Route" (Mid-County Expressway, I-476).

Dates

  • 1687-1993

Creator

Limitations on Accessing the Collection

Collection is open for research.

Copyright and Rights Information

Copyright has not been assigned to Friends Historical Library. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in to the Director. Permission for publication is given on behalf of Friends Historical Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by reader.

Extent

65 Linear Feet

Overview

The Swarthmore College property records include real estate and building appraisals; deeds, mortgages, and leases; reports by Swarthmore committees and external consultants; administrative documents such as budgets and correspondence; blueprints, maps, and plans; and other records pertaining to college buildings and grounds, construction and maintenance, and utilities and resource use.

Biographical / Historical

Swarthmore College was founded on April 1, 1864, by the Religious Society of Friends (Hicksite), by Act of Incorporation of the Pennsylvania State Legislature. Once $50,000 was raised, land was purchased in the Westdale section of Springfield Township (now Swarthmore), Delaware County, Pennsylvania. The first building constructed by the college, now known as Parrish Hall, was completed in time for classes to begin in the fall of 1869. The oldest building on campus, however, is the Benjamin West House, built in 1724, the birthplace of influential early American painter Benjamin West (1738-1820). As of 2015, the Swarthmore College campus includes over 50 buildings.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Deposit, 1972 and on-going

Related Materials

Swarthmore College financial records (RG6/G) and Buildings and grounds reference files (RG 6/V College reference)

Processing Information

A large portion of this material was received circa 1972 and processed as part of Swarthmore College Archives, Series 2, Official Records of the College.

In 2018, when the Service Building was renovated, the Facilities Department scanned all of their blueprints and then sent the paper copies to FHL. In 2018-2019, FHL staff processed the blueprints, reorganizing by building ID number, and consolidating the blueprints from 8 flat file cases into 4.

Creator

Title
Finding Aid for the Swarthmore College Property Records, 1687-1993
Author
FHL staff
Date
2018
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
English

Revision Statements

  • 2016: This electronic finding aid was updated in Summer 2016 by Abdulrezak Kemal in preparation for importing into ArchivesSpace, to conform to current markup standards and the ArchivesSpace data model.
  • 2018: Added blueprints from facilities department

Find It at the Library

Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library

Contact:
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore Pennsylvania 19081 USA